what stator/rotor is this?

antblyme

XS650 Member
Reaction score
After reading my owners manual, the rotor/stator in my XS dont look stock. Anybody have any idea where this combo could have come from? The motor is supposedly an 83' but I'm beginning to believe that it's a mix-match of parts. The stator doesn't have a "F" and the rotor doesn't have a white mark. Thanks
IMG-20110530-00021[1].jpg
IMG-20110530-00022[1].jpg

the white has worn off the rotor. it is the indentation to the left of your timing plate, and the f is the last line to the left on your timing plate, but since your motor is an 83 you have an electronic ignition, meaning-unadjustable most use these timing marks on the 80 and up motors to ensure the cam get timed right with the crank. that is all stock.

I replaced the stock ignition with a PAMCO complete kit (coil, etc). The bike ran fine before.....but now is running like the timing is off.

Also - in the Haynes Manual, it says my stator model should be a LD115 or 115-02. Mine says LD115-07. Plus the timing plate looks different than any other picture I've seen of one for an XS.

Don't worry about the numbers so much. The only parts that fit like stock parts are stock parts. No other bikes used parts that fit our XS650.
As Angus said, the white is worn away. If you look close you will see a square right where Angus said it would be. In the middle of the square is a line. If you have some whiteout, paint the square white again. Just leave the line black.
Now when you use your timing light to check the timing you will see the white square easily. At idle the black line should line up between the two sides of the U.
When you rev the engine the black line will move to the left. It should move over to the left edge of the notch in the center bottom of the round opening the cover fits in. It should reach the edge at about 3200 rpm.
Leo

did you read the supplement area of your manual? the front part of a haynes manual is mostly copies from original early service manuals. thats why the pictures suck.
maybe the 83 part numbers changed?

Thanks Leo.... I just remember reading somewhere that a lot of other metric bike's stator/rotors will work in the XS.....could be wrong.

Angus67 - ya I did read the supplement. pics still weren't matching up to what I got.

Back