What the forks?

RadMax

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I’m rebuilding/upgrading the forks on my 1980 XS650 Special, and I just can’t get that Allen bolt on the bottom out! It rotates freely, but it just won’t come out! It doesn’t even look like it’s moved! Both forks are like this! Now it’s been a minute since I rebuilt a pair of forks, but am I missing something obvious here, or what?

Yes, that Allen bolt is installed with some sort of thread locker, and usually some sealer too. It will turn out hard most of the way so you need to hold the damper rod from spinning. On your '80 forks, the top of the damper rods have what looks like a 12 point socket on them. You need a hex of some sort to fit in it (Allen or bolt head). The size is 17mm. I made up a "special tool" by welding a nut to a bolt. I use a couple of long extensions and a socket on it .....

mr5lvoj.jpg

MNdtzQJ.jpg

No, it doesn't come off, you just hold it there to keep the damper rod from spinning as you unscrew the bottom Allen bolt.

Another method is to keep the fork assembled and hit the screw with a buzz gun while a helper holds the slider and you push down hard to compress the spring. When you reassemble, don't use the footpound torque spec given in the factory service manual and repeated in Clymer's: it's a misprint. Correct torque on that 8 mm. fastener is 14 ftlbs., not 41! If in doubt, trust the manual's specs given in Newton meters.

Thanks guys, I’ll check it out. And thanks for the warning, there’s a bit of a difference between 14 and 41...

Back