What the heck is this? (Pictures)

Kathos

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This small electric module is located right above the engine under the gas tank.
I am going through my wiring harness and I noticed it was unplugged. My bike ran before I started taking it apart so I guess its not needed. Looks like 2 wires connect directly to it. Any ideas?
b92d.jpg

22it.jpg

Yes condensers, they bolt to the left engine mount. If you have points it won't run well or long without the condensers. They should always be tested condensers often die of old age. Every car tune up "kit" used to include a new condenser.

After looking up some pics of it, I agree, it looks like a condenser. But I need to figure out why its not hooked up. Im guessing it was replaced with another part but he never removed the stock one. Would a replacement look the exact same?

two little round cans just like those that are mounted back to back. Does the bike still have a points ignition?

I dont know the mechanics of point ignition so I cant really answer that. Im guessing its the mechanism that sends the spark through the plug wires. But after looking around, I noticed that the previous owner put this on my bike. So Im guessing he got rid of the points ignition with that.
Now I need to figure out how he got the dual output working on my 79 when it says its for 1980-84. Mike has a single tower one thats made for 70 & up but my bike has a double.

Edit
After looking through a pile of receipts, I found out he actually bought this.
And looking at the dual tower ignition coil, it says it works with pamco ignitions, so Im guessing that the ignition system was switched over to a pamco ignition which got rid of the points and the condenser is useless. Does this make sense?

Last edited:
if you want to see if your bike has points then just remove the round cover on the left side of the head and see if any points reside there.

Yes, it looks like your PO did one thing right. He installed a Pamco ignition. A great upgrade over points. If you want to know more about it you can search here about it as well as look at www.yamahaxs650.com, that's the Pamco ignition web site.
You can pull off the upper engine mount and remove the condenser pack, it's not needed, or you can leave it.
I am running the same coil and it works great. That coil was used in the kits before the Ultimate coil was.
Leo

The condenser Mike's sells is two condensers in one unit. It has two wires coming out, one wire to each sets of points.
Leo

Back