what the hell did I do wrong with the brushes

Thanks got it cleaned and put back together
The correct way :thumbsup:
Thanks to you all

Cleaned and put back together properly
I removed the 2 long screws but it didn,t want to come off so I stuck my head underneath and there was 1 more screw that needed to come out
Mission accomplished

Attachments

• IMG_20220208_163554966.jpg
    IMG_20220208_163554966.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20220208_164310120.jpg
    IMG_20220208_164310120.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 56
If you mean that little screw holding the wire loom clamp to the stator housing, no, it doesn't need to come out.

Looks like you need a new cover gasket. This is one of the few places I apply some sealer, but not for sealing purposes really. I only put it on the cover side of the gasket and do that so it comes off stuck to and with the cover when I remove it. I coat the other side, the one that faces the engine, with anti-seize so insure it won't stick.

I screwed up with this gasket, not replacing it when a small portion broke off around the outside of one of the screw/dowel holes, and look what happened. Yep, it cracked the cover .....

CoverCrack.jpg

CoverCrack2.jpg

These sorts of tips are invaluable - I would of just ignored that missing bit on that gasket. Thanks a heap 5twins.
Regards Ray.

WoW you wouldn't have thought the cover would crack like that
I have a new gasket that I may use to make another gasket using it as a pattern
Is there a minimum thickness for the gasket material
I have 3 or 4 different thicknesses of gasket material on hand

WoW you wouldn't have thought the cover would crack like that
I have a new gasket that I may use to make another gasket using it as a pattern
Is there a minimum thickness for the gasket material
I have 3 or 4 different thicknesses of gasket material on hand

Since that gasket doesn’t have to hold oil in, it can be made out of practically anything. I made one out of a cereal box once, just to see if I could. I ran it on my bike for over a year before I finally damaged it.

I'll just use the thickest gasket material I have and I should be fine
I've been making gaskets for the sump plate on a few of the 650's I've had and as long as I make sure that the surfaces are good and clean I haven't had an issue
In fact everyone I have opened up I'm sure the gaskets were the original ones (stuck tight)
Hell back in the mid 70's I didn't even know enough to remove the sump plate and check the screen I just changed the oil and kept putting miles on it

Back