what tools do I need to start

Do you really think that guy is still even listening? He posted that nearly 4 years ago, had a total of 3 posts, then disappeared. I'm kinda thinking he never got a bike and never bought any tools.

I was thinking the same......almost 4 years ago, probably has a garage full of tools by now.

True all - BUT - there will likely be other newbies who are wondering the same thing and they can get lots of good guidance here from what has been written on this thread

Pete

Yeah,
although with 22 new posts since Friday it looks like it's still an interesting topic to the list members, if not to the OP.
Note to self:- Always check a string's start date, eh?

I think pretty much all the feeler gauges I've ever had have had steel blades. I know this because if I didn't keep them oiled, they got rusty, lol. So, I think it's best you do keep them oiled. Just be sure to thoroughly clean the blade before using it on a set of points or you can foul them. After using for that, oil it up again.
Was rounding up my tools and came across this gauge. As I never owned a set of feeler gauges I'm thinking it came with my yamaha tool kit. Here are some other tools I found also. the numbers on the blade are 015,02,045, and the last one appears to be 03, although engraved in the opposite direction of the others.Dont know that tool on the left is or if I'm missing any from the kit. I rarely get rid of tools but often cant find them. Nowadays sometimes after 30 seconds.
new imports 041.JPG
new imports 039.JPG

Didn't mean to start anything. I feel a gallbladder infection coming on.

The outer sleeve is simply an extension for the other wrenches to give you more leverage (very useful on axle nuts and the oil drain plugs which can be VERY tight).

The thing inside the sleeve is a hook tool that is used to adjust the pre-load (ie. stiffness) of your rear shocks.

Pete

Last edited:
The outer sleeve is simply an extension for the other wrenches to give you more leverage.

The thing inside the sleeve is used to adjust the pre-load (ie. stiffness) of your rear shocks.

Pete
Thanks I knew you would know. I cant read the number on the last blade even though I've had cataract surgery on both eyes.

In other tool kits that I've had.......those screw driver T handles and the blunt end wrenches work great as tire irons. I used them for years before buying a real tire iron. I always thought that the less leverage that I had the less damage I could do to a rim. Those were the days when I could really "wrestle" with a tire. Now I use a longer tire iron and do less "wrestling".

Scott

BTW OLD boy - when you take off the oil drain plus (there are two identical plugs) - be sure that they both have a copper crush washer on them and if the washer is absent go get a couple (in fact, it would be best to use new ones anyway). The washers are easily available at bike shops.

Those plugs become extraordinarily tight without the copper washers and also, they could leak.

Pete

They can be extremely tight with worn out washers on them too, lol. Apparently this was an item people thought never needed changing. I've had to impact more than one of these drain plugs out the first time. After they're re-installed with a fresh crush washer, getting them out is a piece of cake.

I use a phenolic/fibre washer on my 2 drain plugs. They never need replacement, as they never leak. I've been using the same washers for about 6 or 7 years now. I use 40 ft/lbs torque. Easy to install and easy to remove.
They come in the Athena gasket kit.

A much better choice than copper washers IMHO.

I'd love to find a source for the fiber washers but have had no luck yet. I've had one on my rear plug for many years. The front has the copper mostly because I have several sump plate/filter assemblies I swap around. I don't have enough fiber washers to go around, lol. I did locate some cheap solid copper washers, about 50 cents each. I got a pack but haven't tested one yet .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20Pcs-30mm-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

5T.................yes those ebay washers look like they would do the job.
When I first got my bike, I tried using the copper washers that Mikesxs sells, but I never could get them to stop leaking.
I believe it was you 5T, that gave me the tip to use the phenolic washers from the gasket kit. They have worked perfect, so I won't use anything else.
I would also like to find a source for phenolic washers, just in case my present ones ever do start to leak, even though that seems unlikely.

5T.................yes those ebay washers look like they would do the job.
When I first got my bike, I tried using the copper washers that Mikesxs sells, but I never could get them to stop leaking.
I believe it was you 5T, that gave me the tip to use the phenolic washers from the gasket kit. They have worked perfect, so I won't use anything else.
I would also like to find a source for phenolic washers, just in case my present ones ever do start to leak, even though that seems unlikely.
I haven't tried to remove my drain plugs. Sounds like its going to be more difficult than I anticipated. Do you cut the washers from a phenolic gasket sheet or buy them precut?

Back