What type of oil filters for 82 xs650?

TRYGAR

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go easy on me for asking such a dumb question but my eyes hurt from researching every forum known to man just to find out the answer to this simple question.

What type of oil filters do I need for a 1982 xs650 special? Can I buy em local, at advanced, pep boys, or autozone?

Just trying to do a simple oil change on the bike I just got...

Also does anyone know of any pod air filters other than mikesXS and K&N?

thanks

XS650s dont have oil filters they have reusable screens. One on the right side of the case under that little round cover, the other in the oil pan at the bottm of the engine, this one usually tears and sometimes can be repaired. Parts can be had at 650 Central, Mikes Xs etc. Get yourself a Clymers manual or better yet a factory manual and read the tech topics here.

Uni Filters are better than those air filters you mentioned. Check out their website.
They don't list a direct fit for our bikes. The items numbers UP4229 or UP4229AST or the PK92 will be just a bit big where they clamp to the carb, but squeeze down and hold fine.
Looking for the threads about "sump filter repairs" should help you to find how to fix your sump filter.
The oil pan as Newagerocker mentioned is a sump plate not and oil pan. It's a flat plate where the front drain plug is located. Held on by 6 bolts.
Leo

Back