What would you do? Possibly ripped off....

Nubster

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the story, I bought an item from a person on another site. I'm going to be a bit vague at this point to keep things anonymous for now. Anyways, the item was a hand-crafted item. Ordered, paid, received in a timely manner. No issues. Item was nice. Well, after a couple months, the item failed. I contacted the seller/maker and explained what was going on. He said send it back, I'll fix it, so I did. This was back in February. Since then, communication has been dodgy at best, nothing but excuses why the thing hasn't been fixed, and as of late, my messages are not being returned at all. I paid like $85 for this thing, so it's not a load of money, but it's a nice chunk of change to me, especially now that I'm out of work, there's noway I can afford to replace it anytime soon.

Since PM's through the other site don't seem to work, I know he gets on almost daily, so he's getting them, I doubt email will do much better. Can't do anything through PP since it's been so long since I bought it, not sure what to do now. As a last resort I will call him out on the site since he is a respected person there, I figure he would respond to defend himself, plus that site and a few others are the primary way he's drumming up business.

Just wanted to get some thoughts.

Custom fab is tough. It's probably a part-time gig, and life has a way of getting in the way sometimes. If he has not just flat told you to get bent, I would assume he's still planning to do right by you. Are you being decent about it, or are you dogging the guy?

If you haven't heard from him in a while, take the time to consider that something could have happened in his personal life, I.E., illnes, death, financial hole, etc., that is a bit more pressing to him. Most people assume that in that circumstance, you will cordually contact all of your business associates and customers and let them know what's going on. Some do, some don't like airing the laundry to everyone. I'm sorry you are in this situation, but things happen to others as well.

If it is something you cannot substitute or run without, I would definately see your frustration. If it is essentially "cool parts", I'd take a powder on it for a while.

Individual craftsmen usually don't expect failures. Maybe he's trying to perfect the part, and avoid the issue in the future. Since I don't know what it is, or what happened to it, that's just speculation, but if that IS the case, understand that a craftsman does not want to provide a piece of work that he knows may fail.

Just my $0.02. There are many things I won't do for others because I have not done them for myself yet and tested it.

I appreciate the insight. Just for a little more food for thought, I've be very patient and every 2-3 weeks I'll shoot over a PM just checking in. Usually within a day or so he'll pop back with some excuses. Most of them seem legit, and you're right, this is part-time for the guy, which is why I'm not to the boiling point yet. I totally understand family and FT job coming first. I wouldn't be as frustrated if I could just get some updates without having to ask for them.

The thing is a leather wallet. So yeah, it's nothing I can't go without for an extended time. It has been 3 months since he has had it, longer then it took to make it though. But I'll stay cool for a bit longer and try to contact him again to see what's going on. That's why I wanted to bounce this off you guys before I reacted out of frustration. Thanks again.

Most guys who will do this stuff on the side love it enough 'till they won't deliberately shit on somebody. It's a small community overall, and bad news can travel fast. Good move on your part kinda feeling out opinions instead of just unloading.:thumbsup:
I've done that in the past (youth and ignorance) and felt like a jackass later, when all the circumstances came to light.:doh:
BTW, most boy scouts can make a "custom" duct tape wallet for you while you wait.:thumbsup:

Back