What you southern folks are missing....

OH man that's hysterical! I don't know who's crazier, the guys on motorcycles or the skiers that they are towing!

I'd rather own one of those Porsche 356's or early classic VW's.

When I was a boy, we used to hang out at stop sign corners and when a car was pulling away after stopping, we’d grab onto the bumper and go for a ride on our boots.

We called it “bumper jumping” - huge fun / totally idiotic (i.e. perfect for the young male).

Last edited:
Well did not hit those speeds but back when I was a kid in the 1950's I remember dad taking my brother and me over to the back road and hooking a couple ropes from the back of his pick-up truck to our sleds and towing us along.

Now days they do too good a job with plowing and salt on the roads to be able to do that. And also dad would get arrested for endangering the welfare of a child!

When I was a boy, we used to hang out at stop sign corners and when a car was pulling away after stopping, we’d grab onto the bumper and go for a ride on our boots.

We called it “bumper jumping” - huge fun / totally idiotic (i.e. perfect for the young male).

That was "hopping cars" back in south jersey. Great fun! We had a favorite that was a four way stop and was low on the list of streets that were cleared of snow.

In Syracuse, we called it "hopping cars", too.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/hopping-cars-and-picking-trash.50118/

I recall that once we got so many of us kids on the bumper of a VW bug, that it just spun its tires and didn't budge.
Those rear bumper rails were great to hang onto.

upload_2018-1-19_14-25-52.jpeg

I have been known to ride a toboggan that somehow got roped to the back of a neighbor's car. Going was a blast. Stopping...not so much.

Also recall going to the biggest hill in the county (not that that's too impressive in Central Michigan...) and riding down it on car hoods. Cars/trucks from the 40's had the best hoods for that endeavor.

I have been known to ride a toboggan that somehow got roped to the back of a neighbor's car. Going was a blast. Stopping...not so much.

Also recall going to the biggest hill in the county (not that that's too impressive in Central Michigan...) and riding down it on car hoods. Cars/trucks from the 40's had the best hoods for that endeavor.

Those VW bug hoods were great for snow................

I did that, too! We called it bumper hitching south of the border. Grabbing the city bus was a favorite.

In the realm of dumb ideas for young men, there are many ideas that are unusual, but few that are unique.

Another thing we used on the hill just up the street form home was an old refrigerator door, went fast but absolutely no way to control direction! Guess that was some of the fun part!

Did make the mistake of trying that same hill in summer on my J.C Higgins bike, that did not go so well! Not exactly a mountain bike design back then! How I've managed to make it to just short of 68 years of age with not one broken bone still surprises me.

ZACKLEY QL!!

I learned to ride a bicycle on an old wreck that I dug out of the garbage (no tires, no chain - or brakes, and no seat :yikes:) - but I had a ball gliding down the driveway of our 4-plex out into the street.

....until my Mother curtailed my fun and pointed out that what I was doing was dangerous. :umm: I will never forget my Dad telling me that I “sure wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed”. The incident did, however, get him to agree to fund 50% of the purchase price of a bicycle with all of the accoutrements needed to ride safely. My paper route furnished the rest of the dough and I was away like a dirty shirt!

...and now, 53 years later....here I am!

ZACKLEY QL!!

I learned to ride a bicycle on an old wreck that I dug out of the garbage (no tires, no chain - or brakes, and no seat :yikes:) - but I had a ball gliding down the driveway of our 4-plex out into the street.

....until my Mother curtailed my fun and pointed out that what I was doing was dangerous. :umm: I will never forget my Dad telling me that I “sure wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed”. The incident did, however, get him to agree to fund 50% of the purchase price of a bicycle with all of the accoutrements needed to ride safely. My paper route furnished the rest of the dough and I was away like a dirty shirt!

...and now, 53 years later....here I am!

I can remember shortly after I figured out how to ride on two wheels I figured I'd take a nice ride. Road down the state highway to the first four corners and back close to two miles with a 40 mph speed limit. I thought I did something great till I decided to tell mom about it! She for some reason was not too happy! ?Don't recall any punishment but did not do that again for a while.

A few years latter when we had a couple old cars we drove around on the hill and field next door it was not uncommon for us to stick an old oil two gallon oil can in each of the saddle baskets and one in the front basket and ride down to the gas station at the same four corners to get gas for the lot cars! Guess by then mom got over getting worried about us. Or was it something else????

We did it all the time, we called it Skitching.

Back