What's everyone paying for mount and balance?

oneup

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shop just down the street quoted me 52.00+tax to mount/balance a 90/90/21 if I bring my own tube. Is this normal?

That is me bringing in the rim off the bike. And that is no dismount, just mount/balance.

Last edited:
2 dismounts and 2 mounts are $200+ tax here in Topeka. Outrageous!!:yikes: And that`s carry in yourself.

$20 each about everywhere. That's one zero, not two, Halfmile, you must be going to a dealer.

It used to be $20 to $25 most everywhere but isn't anymore. One of the reasons I bought the HF motorcycle tire changer @ about $40. I figured it would pay for itself in no time, and it has. By the time I bought a gallon jug of tire lube and the plastic ends so I could make a proper changing bar, I was up near $80, but it's still paid for itself and actually started saving me money.

I went to a Mexican tire shack in Austin to see how much it would cost and he said $40 each. A couple of days later I went back with the tires and the guy there then asked if I got a price and he changed it to $40 for both like I must have misunderstood. So I took the back tire off in the lot and he did that one, then I took the front tire off and he did that one. The old machine he had got the old tire off and the new one on in under a minute.

$30 a wheel carry in here, $60 a wheel if on the bike.

Get the HF changer, it will save you a lot of money.
I have the car tire changer and the bike tire changer, I do all my own tires.
Dyna Beads for balance. Less than $15 for kit that has enough beads for two tires and a installer. When you do the next tire change you cut the old tube open, get the beads out to install in the new tube. Even easier of you run tubeless.
Leo

$36 each here North Georgia. Carry in.
A friend of mine has a nice tire changer mounted in front of his garage. I can imagine what my wife would say about that...

Have an old manual Coats 200 do about 15-20 tires most years. In the winter I just use tire irons on the floor near the wood stove. I never realize how many I've done til spring cleaning when I have take the old tires in and pay $3 each to get rid of them.

Interesting thread. I change my own and it is something that I actually enjoy. Neighbors, friends and family pay me $20 per tire, removed, mounted and installed by me. For me it is a matter of trust more than cost. I use BB's for balance in tubeless tires, the same weight that Dyna Beads states in their charts.

Scott

Yup 'bout 5 years ago had a shop change a tire on an insanely fast rocket, later that week while cleaning I found the axle bolts were left loose. (the mech "went for a test ride" also!) That was the last time a shop has touched a bike of mine.

One night I was washing a bike, getting ready for a big ride the next day with family and friends. While cleaning the tires with Bleche-Wite I heard an awful WHOOOOSHING sound. Yep, the valve stem had broken off with just a little pressure from the scrubbing brush. The asshole who changed the tire last did not put in a new valve stem. Guess who that asshole was. He thought he could get away with it because it was his bike. Straightened him out good.:laugh2:

Scott

I can get a wheel done for £30 in the UK.
But I have a couple of tire irons and some tire soap, so now I do it myself in the workshop (always felt balance is not too important if it rides ok)

I can get a wheel done for £30 in the UK.
But I have a couple of tire irons and some tire soap, so now I do it myself in the workshop (always felt balance is not too important if it rides ok)

When I was using stick-on-weights, about 75% of the tires that I balanced were using the same weights, in the same place, as the tires before them. So, I think, with the well made tires that we have today, I was actually balancing the wheel, and not the tire.

Scott

Yes, many times you are actually balancing the wheel mostly. That's why I leave the current weights on when installing a new tire. A balance check afterwards many times shows the new tire balance to be good, and if a change is needed, it's usually just a minor one.

I deal with spoke wheels mostly. I don't know if anyone's noticed, but spoke wheel weights have gotten expensive, considering what they are. I've "liberated" every one I could find off the bikes in my dealer's boneyard, lol. But I still felt the need for more, so I took to casting my own .....

full

full

full

full

Appleton WI
Maximus Motors LLC is now offering tire mounting and balancing, featuring the BEST mounting and balancing prices around!

Off the bike: $25 per wheel/tire or $40 per set ($10 discount), plus Wisconsin sales tax (5%)

On the bike: $40 per wheel/tire, plus Wisconsin sales tax (5%)

Back