Whats the farthest youve ridden your XS650?

Just curious, thinking about doing some longer distance riding, what to see how these bikes hold up on the highway.
I've done several 500 plus mile trips on XS650's. I always carried spare spark plugs, alternator brushes, JB Weld, Tire/tube repair kit, duct tape and a small roll of electrical tape in addition to a small selection of "good tools" in a roll. My tour set up included a National Cycle Plexifaring, saddle bags, a rear rack, a small sissy bar with pad and a tank bag.
I carried the tool kit, the supplies and a can of chain lub in the bottom of a backpack lashed to the back of the sissybar and resting on the rack. Above the tools I carried my rain gear for easy access. The saddle bags carried clothes for the trip. The tank bag carries maps, first aid, flash light, tire gauge, camera, change, secret money, energy bars and other small items. My tank bag had a clear map holder on top so you could check the map as you rode. This was before GPS. This was not a camping setup. I've never camped with a bike although many do. Our trips were 5 to 7 days in length with many weather changes. Plan accordingly. Do a thorough service of the bike before you leave. Equip the bike with name brand tires in good condition. I prefer Bridgestone Spitfires on XS650's. Ride safe, have fun and enjoy the trip. The journey is the destination.

Last edited:
Denver to south of Ensenada BC MX, and back. total of 2775 miles for that trip last summer.

I have taken numerous 400 mile day trips with no problems. The only tools I take with me are the original tools that came with the bike. I blew a front sprocket seal on one trip, but the old XS650 got me home ok.

6600 miles 1991.... Upstate NY-Sturgis-Seattle-West Coast Hwy 101-Southwest - Utah- Upstate NY 1990 HD FLSTF 'Fatboy' Falstaff Great Trip - Absolutely No Bike Issues

980 miles..Northern Utah-Southern Utah-Arizona/ Nevada-Home 1978 XS 650 SE 'Special'
'Belle' Tough Trip! Issues: Not an enjoyable long range nor high speed freeway cruiser...Age & Health.... Me, not the bike, she's a good one.

Good on ya James! That's a helluva XS 650 run! Blue

Attachments

• Falstaff Redo.JPG
    Falstaff Redo.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
About 900 miles in one day-stopped for a valve adj. And butt break after 500
bike held up better than i did- got home w/ 25 cents...
Several trips from kc to dal-500 mi bike was younger then, so was i...

Well, since you asked, I just got back yesterday from a 5 day trip in British Columbia. This was through the Kootenay Mountains and the Okanagan Valley. Spectacular scenery to say the least..............I still can't get the smile :D off my face.

My bike performed extremely well. I covered 2036.6 kms or 1265 miles in the 5 days. I averaged 24 km/litre or 56.4 mpg. I adjusted the chain once. My oil level is only down slightly, so I guess I may have used 100 or 200 cc of oil. I climbed some steep grades in the Kootenay Pass, but my bike just loved it.

Sure glad I took rain gear! I had 2 days of perfect weather, and 3 days of rain, 1 of which also had hail:eek: The rain gear kept me dry, so rain is not a negative if you prepare for it.

The only mechanical problem, was a screw/nut/spacer loosened off and fell out inside the headlight bucket. I actually saw sparking:yikes: through the cable access holes as I was riding. The screw, nut or spacer must have been touching the end of a bullet connector, causing a partial short to ground:shrug: Removed the headlight and found the screw/nut/spacer laying in the bottom of the bucket.( repairs done on the gravel shoulder with rain falling, :))

Prepare well for any long trips................tools, rain gear, spare parts. I also carried a 12 volt compressor and a tubeless repair kit. I even carried 4 litres of emergency gasoline, since my special only holds 11 litres, but it was not needed.

Everyone likes pics, so here are a few from the trip.

Attachments

• Ready to go.JPG
    Ready to go.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Osoyoos , after rain and hail.JPG
    Osoyoos , after rain and hail.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Okanagan Lake 2.JPG
    Okanagan Lake 2.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 169
  • Okanagan Lake.JPG
    Okanagan Lake.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Kootenay Ferry Balfour.JPG
    Kootenay Ferry Balfour.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 158
0 miles lol.

W/ that said when I get it all back together and running reliably I'll be doing 350 mile round trips on it approximately ever other weekend or so and probably take a vacation and do a trip around Lake Michigan.

On father's day last month I did about 120m. around Tucson, Oracle and Marana. No where special to go, just enjoying the experience of rideing and the scenery.

Nice, good stories and info. Im looking forward to doing some distance riding in the near future just curious how these bikes hold up, thanks.

Back