Whats the torque range for 82 Xs?

nlovern

possom man
Reaction score
Hi,
Nathan lovern here. Been my second week of rideingmy Xs. I wanted to asked about the torque area in a XS. Mine is between 2,000 and 4,500. After 4,500 there no grunt left in my bike. I dont push it hard though. Ive had no need to rev it more tan that. It gives mee all the power i need below 4,500. Just wondering.
My Xs done like taking corners either . is this normal? 16in back wheel. Sticky tire.
My bike has a steel chrome back wheel and an aluminum front. Did it come that way?
Nathan,Va

Hmm, I keep my r's between 2500 and 4k....running 17/30 gearing. The upper end in 5th is a slow increase for me. Cornering? Mine corners fine though you have to throttle through it seems, can get exciting. Your '82 should have the ...what is it...64 spoke chrome steel? 48 spoke in the rear. Looks like a po swapped your front out
lovern.jpg

I agree with nj1639...............my engine is driven in the 2500 to 4000 rpm range. I have no need to go over 4000 rpm as that would be breaking the traffic laws:D. One time I accidentily twisted the throttle to much and right up to 6000 rpm and 140 kms/hr:yikes:

My bike loves the twisty roads and handles well.................choose the speed before entering the curves and increase power smoothly as you drive through the curve.

4K, ya'll are just getting wound up.
Like RG said if it won't take you to 6-6.5 quick something needs fiddled with.

The rear shocks on these bikes are barely good enough to hold the back of the bike up. Get a decent set and handling will improve like night and day.

Nathan,
Heritage Specials came with chromed steel wheels front and rear. 64 spokes front, 48 rear.

My '83 has plenty of grunt right up to the red line but does start to flatten out at about 5500 RPM.

Stock gearing is 17-34. I'm currently running 18-34. I know the area where you live and I might go 2 gears taller after I do something to beef up the clutch. Or a 5th gear overdrive. 17-30 like nj1639 is running is probably too tall where you live unless most of your travels are on 77 and 81.

Don't know what pipes, carbs and air filters you're running but even if everything is stock your jetting might be lean. Here in Greensboro my jetting is fine but when I get up near where you live my bike leans out. If everything is stock then one size up will probably help. I'm at 900' elevation but you're at about 3000.

These bikes are not fantastic in the corners. Different shocks, bronze swing arm bushings (stock is plastic) and fine tuning of the front forks (oil springs and drilling out the whatchamacallit) is recommended. If you don't have a stock front fender or a fork brace then get one or both. Slightly lowering the forks in the triple trees can help too.

At about 4000-4500 rpm is where the power really starts to come on. So do the vibes, But thats part of the charm.
If you roll on firmly from the 4000-4500 rpm range it should briskly climb up to 6500 + rpm's. Especially in the lower gears. Shift at 6500 to 7000 rpms and it might surprize you just how quick it can be.
On the handling, as mentioned the bronze swing arm bushings help.
The tapered roller bearing conversion on the steering head helps.
Drain and flush out the old oil in the forks and replace with fresh helps. The book calls around 5.6 ounces of oil. It's better to use a bit more, works very well with 7.5 ounces in each fork. Much less dive while braking.
New rear shocks is a good upgrade. New, spend the money for good ones, call MMM at 650central. He will "steer" you in the right direction. About $200 or a bit more for shocks built to your needs.
Leo

Back