Whats your weather right now?

Yep. Going out of the house is not a subject of consideration right now. Even if the power fails, it’s better than the ditch. I don’t think we’re getting mail, but I’m not even considering walking out to the end of the driveway. Got food. Got heat. Got good woman. What more could I want.

Hey, guys. Quick check-in.
Net's been down.
Still no power, water, closed hwy and roads.
Retrieved my truk an hour ago.
Have sufficient propane, food, water, cats.
Rigged up a way to recharge my stoopidphone.
Still rationing.

Signing off...

Happy to hear you’re riding this out ok Steve!

Good to hear from 2M.I figured he was hunkered down. Talked to the power company again today. They say I have power. Then they checked my smart meter and said whoops. three days of no power. They fixed my friend down the road after an outage that started at noon today. Mine has been out since 7pm Sunday. WTF

Talked to the power company again today. They say I have power. Then they checked my smart meter and said whoops. three days of no power. They fixed my friend down the road after an outage that started at noon today. Mine has been out since 7pm Sunday. WTF

Are you running a generator?

Pete
Count your blessings. You have power and your town has some equipment for this type of weather. If you can get out your driveway you can go someplace.
Large parts of our southern states have neither.
Kinda worried about 2M. He hasn't posted since he had to walk home.

indeed Greg - I hear that much of Texas is below zero and had no power. They’re not used to that sort of thing. I hope 2M is OK (and...also his cats).

much of Texas is below zero and had no power. They’re not used to that sort of thing. I hope 2M is OK
Oh Yes, the news of Texas is frightening.
I'm bettin 2M is not only handling his situation, but likely for others as well.
He's probably tapped into the power grid himself by now.
:)

Despite what you may hear from the media, Texas is the largest generator of wind power in the U.S. and the reports are the windmills are covered in ice and will not turn. In addition the feds have made us shutdown our coal fired plants one of which provided a large percentage of Houston's power load so now a large part of Texas's reserve generating capacity is going into Houston powering among other things the petrochemical complex along the the Houston ship channel. If they shutdown those plants it takes weeks to months to restart them. This is after 20 years of the feds preventing Texas from building gas fired generation capacity. To top it off my power normally comes from the South Texas Project, a nuclear plant in Bay City that had problems with the cold temps but is now back on line.

No generator. I have lived here for 35 years and with one exception have never been without power for more than hour. I had a generator years ago but sold it because it would sit unused for long periods and when the power would fail by the time I had it rigged up and started the power was already restored.

I have a deep cycle that we have been charging on one of the cars during the day and the inverter provides lights and netflix over tethered cell phone. During the day we huddle up to the woodstove and cook our meals on it.

This has increased my resolve to go off grid. I have panels, controllers and inverters but have to cut down some trees and find a deal on batteries. My goal is to be independent of the grid in 18 months. I so pissed at the electric utility I don't care what it costs.

I live in Kerr county. This is what the "green future" looks like.
power outage wed morning.jpg

Despite what you may hear from the media,
They're serving their owners, exactly like in the former Soviet Union with a few very minor differences. With so many KFC chicken dinners at stake, is anybody naive enough to think it could be otherwise? The answer is a resounding "Yes".

My weather is I'm 50 miles too far south. I got set up to keep things going here with no power for a week, plus rescue half the neighbors. Dang it. Better luck next time maybe.

I live in Kerr county. This is what the "green future" looks like.
View attachment 185201

80% of electricity in Texas is fossil fuel produced............fossil fuel produced electricity is down ............Texas Electricity production has been removed from the US grid and has been privatized...........

Blaming the 20% of electricity production on the failure of the Grid to be able to handle this...........????

Wow, we have been watching your weather with interest, extreme conditions in Texas. I know a couple of people in Austin and they are freezing their tits off....keep warm 2M.....

Hey, guys. Quick check-in.
Net's been down.
Still no power, water, closed hwy and roads.
Retrieved my truk an hour ago.
Have sufficient propane, food, water, cats.
Rigged up a way to recharge my stoopidphone.
Still rationing.

Signing off...

Oh Yes, the news of Texas is frightening.
I'm bettin 2M is not only handling his situation, but likely for others as well.
He's probably tapped into the power grid himself by now.
:)

Indeed - if he hasn't already fixed it himself....;)

That 2M - he's a clever lad.

80% of electricity in Texas is fossil fuel produced............fossil fuel produced electricity is down ............Texas Electricity production has been removed from the US grid and has been privatized...........

Blaming the 20% of electricity production on the failure of the Grid to be able to handle this...........????

As I said in my post you are reading the fake news from the liberal media. There have been many days when the windmills in west Texas produce more than half the power generated in the state . Yes we use fossil fuel because the feds have made it almost imposable to expand the STP and Glen Rose plants. The owners have been trying since the 80's to install more reactors. For 20 years the Carter era rules prevented Texas from building Gas fired plats so we built both lignite fired plants from local sources and very large hard coal plants using coal from Wyoming. Now those are all shut down replaced with wind generators that only make power when the wind blows and solar arrays that only make power when the sun shines. You can't run a state that produces so many petrochemicals that are the basis for virtually every product you use.
And the reason that Texas is on it's own grid dates back to when the U.S. had to come save Australia and New Zealand from having to learn to speak Japanese.

Back