Whats your weather right now?

cdntx650 I think you win. -15F with a breeze is plenty for me thank you very much. 2 wood stoves running about 24/7 are keeping up, but just barely at night. Warming back up to freezing by the weekend. :thumbsup:

Brutal. Has warmed up some, about 0 now. Snapped a little pic off the pier. Had to make a trip down there to check on the boats. That walk was to long, hahah

Attachments

• frozen.jpg
    frozen.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 143
2 wood stoves running about 24/7 are keeping up

My father grew up with a coal stove fueled from the family coal mine. I don't mean a dynasty, I mean a personal coal mine on the hillside.

I am going to try to find a country store that still uses a potbellied coal stove, just to hang out there. Love the smell. Might be hard to find. Too many people wanting to modernize over the decades. Mostly wives insisting, I suspect.

There's coal around, but awhile's back I got caught at the pile with my bucket. I can't afford to loose my other thumb. :yikes:

:wink2:

Burning wood suits me perfect. 4 years of heat, cut split and stacked dry.

Like you say they claim smell has the strongest memory of all the senses.
Coal smoke doesn't do it for me, but I sure like to whiff some wood smoke now and then.

This time last year was a feast for the senses. Wood smoke from a campfire in a trailer area I was staying in, drinking the last few bottles of Ezra Brooks 100 proof ever made, as it turned out. Then part of my job was tending to the motors and drives on a coal-fired boiler with that smell always hanging in the air. Most of the time in single digits or below.

Love to randomly catch the smell of someone burning hardwood in their fireplace. Got to feel sorry for the poor sorry suckers coerced into modernity. Although sometimes a lack of it can help you understand its appeal.

It's so cold here that I saw a gangsta pull his pants up . About -25c ( not sure what that is in real temp, but with wind chill about -35 ) and windy as hell . Supposed to be going above freezing by the weekend .

My old house ( just moved at the end of August) had a coal furnace, big old octopus that had been jury rigged to burn oil . I still had a coal bin in the basement and the old lady that used to own the place was still using nothing but coal well into the 1980s. I still have the bill of sale and the operating instructions for it .

After I learned to ride a bicycle my parents would proudly send me to the store for milk, which came back in the basket on the handlebars.

The store...Bill's Store, had a potbellied coal stove in the middle of the room and I swear there were always a couple of old timers sitting beside it playing checkers. Straight out of Norman Rockwell.

I miss my wood stove . Growing up burning wood was our primary heat source . I don't miss cutting ,splitting, stacking and hauling fire wood much . Haven't seen any store with a wood stove in it for a long time , execept for the place that builds wood stoves up in Goodwood . He always has a few going in the showroom .

Every once in a while I'll get a whiff of coal smoke from somewhere aroud here and think of my time in England. A lot of houses were still heated with coal then in the late 70's.
It's in the upper 60's here during the days and dips to the mid-lower 30's at night.

-30 with the windchill the last couple of days, but it's supposed to be +4 on the weekend and then +2 for the next couple or three days.

making it awfully hard to stay out in the uninsulated, unheated building to install my new accessories lol

It's 7:20 am I ready to go for a ride
Fort Myers,Florida
Clear 70 °F Wind : from the SE at 5 mph
Pressure : 30.13
Humidity : 90%
Dewpoint : 67°F
Visibility : 10mi.

There's a town in Missouri where the soil is blowing and sandy and when it gets damp it might as well be a light dusting of snow. Downtown instead of a city park they have a big cotton field. Strange sight to see in the middle of a town. But good use of space I would say.

A gentle 38 degrees Celsius at the moment in sunny Adelaide, South Australia. But relief is on it's way, shifting to 40 and 43 degrees Celsius on the weekend. Seriously, how much heat can these twins handle being air-cooled?

7:30am 57F but storming ;(

A couple of days ago it was below zero. The way the winter weather works here, precipitation only comes with warmth. Even on an hourly basis. Snow is an extraordinary event. But lots of still wet roads that freeze :)

Back