Wheel Corrosion?

doubleT

XS650 Member
Reaction score
The wheel is from a "behind the barn find". It was covered in a white flakey scale. At first glance I thought it was just gunk on the surface, but it seriously pitted the wheel. Just curios what causes it? And i'm in the market for a front mag and rotor if anyone has one the want to get rid of.

Pic not the best, but I would say it actually looks worse than the pic.

Attachments

• xs650 006.jpg
    xs650 006.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 119
Aluminum does corrode the same as any metal. It takes a bit longer is all. I think if you clean it up, sand out the rough spots and repaint it you will be fine.
Me I think I would go with a set of spoked wheels of an earlier model. Look better, lighter weight, and can improve the handling.

It will take a shitload of elbow grease to clean those up, but it can be done. I would just buy another one.

aren't the cast wheels on these an iron alloy? or did they change to a lighter alloy later on?

i know the wheels on my 79 weigh more than the mags for my car, with tires.... (235-60R17, so not exactly small). so i'm wondering why it would be corroding white like that, would make sense for alu, but then again, alu is pretty much corrosion resistant once it gets that first layer of oxide.

I personally would not use that wheel. That much surface corrosion is an indicator. Perhaps I am overly cautious, but wheel failure could be deadly. Why chance it. I would make that wheel unusable, so no one else attempts to use it.
My Aviation background makes Me a lttle paranoid of certain situations, and a motorcycle is a LOT like an Airplane. Catastrophic failure of certain parts can be deadly. You can bead blast, prime and paint all day, but corrosion below the surface can lead to complete structural failure.:yikes:

Saw that tire off and recycle that wheel in the aluminum bin.

Sand blast the rim if you want to use it. These rims are hell-for-strong and the rim should be okay. You'll be able to make a visual inspection once the corrosion bloom is gone.

Thanks deacon - sent PM.

Appreciate all the input. I just have not ever seen corrosion like that before and was curious.

Back