Wheel offset

tom_o

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm preparing to get my wheels re-laced, after getting the wheels & hubs painted and getting new stainless spokes. I've tried searching but I kept finding different answers, are the hubs off-set at all? The bike is an 82 Heritage Specials, with a drum rear brake.

You are only about the 300th person that has taken the wheel down without checking. Keep searching. 5twins posted some excellent pics on this the other day, showing how to check it, and how to get it back. I'd link it, but then I'd have to go find it myself.

Yes, people do this all the time and I don't understand it. How did you think you were going to re-assemble these things???? I've never done any Heritage wheels so I can't give you any specific measurements. What I can tell you is the rims are centered over the spoke flanges on both wheels. On the front, that will put it centered on the overall hub but on the rear it won't. On the rear, the sprocket side of the hub sticks out more than the brake drum side. You'll just have to do some measuring and some math and figure it out. Or take them to someone who can and pay them to do it.

Back