Wheel Swap

Sullen Merc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the spokes that came with the 82 heritage special that I just picked Saturday. Anyone have ideas of what wheels might fit leaving the stock front and using the david bird hardtail weld on kit? Some fab is fine just looking for what might work according to axle size.

Any 77 up XS650 front is a bolt on and any XS650 drum rear is also bolt on, the mags and some steel spoke rear wheels are 16" like your heritage. Even a disk mag rear is not a big deal on a hardtail set up.

Thanks gggGary though I'm not a fan uf the mags either. Anyone point me in the direction of which years/models would have spoke but not this style?

97776755_4thumb_550x410.jpg

Front spoke 19" alloy rim Standards 74 to 79
Front spoke disk hub 19" chrome rim 72-73, Special IIs 79-81
Rear 18" spoke chrome rims Standards 70-73
Rear 18" spoke alloy rims Standards 74-79
Rear 16" Spoke chrome Special IIs 79-81

Last edited:
Alright I guess my ignorance of this model isn't done yet...anyone know what changed that make the 77+ a bolt on with the 74-76 would not be?

They changed the forks,disk brake rotor, and caliper in 77. IIRC there is a difference in the hub width at the disk flange.

Front hub was the same from '74 on, just change the disc.

Gary is right, the width changed when they changed to 35mm forks from 34mm in 1977model year. Some of the earlier front wheels will work if they have the hub that's drilled for dual disc, just the later spacers and speedo drive do the swap. 74-6 have these hubs.

5 twins beat me to it, but it seems I used an earlier disc with the early caliper too, maybe I did change disc...been years ago

Last edited:
I think the hub width is the same from 74 up. The disc rotor offset changed in 77 to work with the single piston caliper. With the rotor laying flat on a table and measuring from the table up to the top of the rotor is .20 inch less on the later one piece rotor than the older two piece rotor.

Ok, I'm right in the middle of playing with the front end on my project. I am installing a set of '74 alloy spokes onto a '79 that came with alloys and disks front and rear. Couldnt get the caliper onto the '74 rotor. I am guessing from what I read that I will have to go to later model one piece rotors????? Oh, dual front disks is where I'm going. Could I just grab a set of Seca 750 rotors?

Attachments

• photo_1.JPG
    photo_1.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Yes you need late model rotors to use late model forks/calipers No Seca 750 rotors are too small but xs/xj1100 rotors work.

Thanks Gary!:thumbsup:

I have a box of misc parts from some parts bikes I purchased. I thought I had some rotors, I did. The rotors are late model one piece. They are installed and the caliper slid right on the rotor.

Attachments

• photo_2.JPG
    photo_2.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
You can drill the rotors to lighten them as well as make them work better.
Do a bit of research before you do this. You want holes no larger than the rotor if thick.
Under this point you are increaseing cooling. Once you go bigger you loose cooling.
Leo

i have heritage wheels on my xs2 but i dont run a front brake on that bike and i had to make some spacers for the front wheel and the 16" in the back almost rubs the swingarm but they work. and the stock rear wheel from my 72' is on my ACO bobber that runs a david bird loop so i think all the axles are the same its all about the spacing

Back