When does a xs650 stop being a xs650

Cannon-Firing-Bombs-56867.gif

Cannonized!!!!
Ok. Go to the MOT, and tell them its not a 650. if you have bored it, (in your eyes) its not a 650, correct? So what are they inspecting? Tell us how that goes, ay?
I just hand them bos, and empty my coin purse, shut the fuc up, and hope they don't ask why the title says my bike weighs 1180 pounds!!
I think you need your brain inspected!!
Your such a cage rattler, I think I like you.
Mods, change his user name to rattler.

:confused:I like it Funky Rattler

this canonized bit I don't get:shrug::confused:

What i am saying is simply this:doh: a xs650 should be 650 cc thats all :banghead:period put the look to one side:thumbsup: put bloody horns on it and call it a horny 650 but if its a 750 big foooooking bore its not a 650 is it..

The bit about springs and seats and choppers was just to get the juices flowing me being a rattler ....to be honest i think choppers are an art form bloody beautiful machines clean sleek lines bloody comfy and look awesome.

Its like my cafe racer I want it to be an Xs650 cafe racer the fact that it has the word "Racer" in the title compels me to make it faster and i will buy getting the most out of the 650 cc and thats what cafe racings about make it faster by tweeking the engine and cc you have. Better this part better carbs lose weight here and there better cornering by improving suspension or tires you know what i mean But keeping the engine at 650cc...
I my mind if you change the bore thus improving or increasing the cc to what ever its then a different cc class has been obtained,, and therefore cant be an xs650 because it is clearly not a 650 any more no matter what cases it has or frame or tank or wheels. I would maintain that if the engine is mostly yamaha then its a yamaha"whatever CC" then give a name or whatever .....like in formula one mercedes maclaren ferrari Lotus ....... CC Engine Engineer or construtor Style
so my bike would be a Yamaha xs650 Funky Cafe racer or as i have named it Yamaha xs650 funky racer due to I will not be racing from on cafe to the next and loser buys the teas.

Back in the 50s and 60s the lads in England mess about with Norton and Triumph they used the fetherbed frame from one bike and the engine from another and called it a TRITON TRIumph norTON because it was no longer either bike but a combination of the best component elements to reach the holy grail of a TON or 100+ MPH
they called themselves TON uP boys,,,:thumbsup: like some lads from this site they chopped there bikes to gain performance predominately or looks :D but in doing that they recognized that the bike they made was no longer either one bike so combined the name. . I think this was the right thing to do in my opinion and a bike should be first classed by its engine size then what ever after :bike::bike:

All the best people Funky :thumbsup:

Last edited:
What? No story for the MOT?
who's pushing buttons now, eh?

In England your log book has to specify make model cc and registration number the color and the name of the registered keeper along with there address . VIN number and engine number previous owner date of registration

If I went along to MOT my Bike and said that it was a bigbore 750 cc 650xs yamaha they would say I dont give a flying F**K what it is mate as long as its road worthy to ministry of transport rules and you give me £40.00 regardless.

If i wrote to the DVLA department of motor vehicle agency stating that i have increased the cc they would change it on the log book and then i will have to inform my insurance of the change the original model would not change on the document as it was its orginal state but the cubic capacity on the log book would state the 750 or whatever increase in cc ..

to the best of my knowledge but my friend is an M.O.T inspector I will ask him tomorrow

All the best and there is you story me ol china :bike: FUNKY

Oh and Angus what if I reduced the cc and then sold you it as an XS650 smallbore kit ...but I somehow put a 100cc pots in each cylinder 5twins or Twomany probably have attempted this lol it would not be long before you sued me for false advertising or something like that...

got to learn to look at things the right way or from others perspective common sense is not very common some times.

All the best Funky

Oh! just found this on the forums this proves my theory my thoughts and case closed:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D:)
1971 xs1b 3600 miles
1980 xs chop, bored to 680, kick only. ridgid. bs34's xsjohn's needles. 46pilot, 140 MJ.
1980 xs basket case chopper with bent frame, need total re-do
2003 suzuki 800 Marauder. Stage three carbs with uni foams, 45/55 pilots, 132.5/ 142.5 Mj's, debaffled pipes. MIG subscribed

Last edited:
Another strange thread.

I've done similar comparisons in my search for the perfect hamburger.

As the engine heats up, the cylinders expand.
So, the proper response to "What cc's is it?" Would be:

"What's the weather like?"

Yamaha XS360
Yamaha XS400
Yamaha XS500
Yamaha XS650
Yamaha XS750
Yamaha XS850
Yamaha XS1100
Yamaha TX650
Yamaha TX750

None of those Yamaha models are actually the CC you seem to think the model name implies. An XS650 is to Yamaha as an XK120 is to Jaguar a model name not a displacement. Ask the average motorcycle nut to describe an XS650 and he will tell you about the classic SOHC parallel twin. Ask him about the XS750 and he might be able to tell you a bit about the 3 cylinder twin cam that grew to become the XS850. Don't ask him if the TX650 was bored out to become the TX750..... :wink2:

Where are we going? and why are we in this handbasket?

:confused:I like it Funky Rattler
this canonized bit I don't get:shrug::confused: - - -

Well then, Hi Rattler!
To be Canonised in the Catholic Faith is to be declared a Saint.
Drawback to that is you gotta be dead first.
OTOH, if you are writing a story about (for instance) medieval Sherwood Forest, Robin Hood, Maid Marian, Little John and the rest of the Merry Men are all characters "in Canon" but if you add Ulf the Ugly to your story, he ain't and the purists will call you on it.
As to being canonised on this list, I dunno.
BUT
Yamaha's XS bike series came in several sizes, 360, 400, 500, 650,750, 850 & 1100.
Those numbers only approximated the engine size, for instance, the XS650 original was 653cc, none of the others were dead on either and it got worse at every rebore.
SO
The number after the XS series designation just tells you which one it is.

Or in order of appearance.
XS1
XS1-B
XS2
TX750
TX650
TX650-A
um oops!
XS650-B C D E SE F SF etc. etc

All of which are now known in colloquial usage as XS650's More people will know what a 1971 XS650 is than recognize what you mean if you say XS1-B. ( members of this forum excepted).

So, are you pointing out that in my signature I have a 1980 xs, bored to 680cc........Yes, I agree that it is far from a 650. The only 650 about it is the title and registration. that's whats important. But the titles on both of my class xs650 say the weight of the bike is 1,180 lbs. Should I try to correct that at the dmv? Can you say "can of worms"?
Guilty, I suppose in that Its kind of a "show off" attempt, saying its not 653cc anymore, its a 680. Trying to impress these lads, I suppose. You do have a valid argument.

Ok OK OK :) I have been branded a Rattler :doh:I have been killed off:doh: and sainted:doh: and turned into a weather man :doh:
I am sad :( feel so alone :confused: in a sea of words semantics and torment:( riddled with guilt:shrug: carrying the emotional burden of all the fallen during second world war :shrug:
because I have my opinion.:thumbsup: my Human rights shot to pieces laying before me bruised and wounded self esteem scored like my bores and pistons .... REFERANCE to human rights act (article 10 section 4) please look up and feel free to feel bad:D

Persecuted I am :(Persecuted I feel :( Victimized and targeted:wtf: cannon balls landing all around me :yikes:will the next one hit my beautifully re-sprayed cafe racer tank on my XS 650 opps 653:wink2:
Anxious i tell you :D where is that Lorazipam valium prozac no sleep and when i do Nightmares of abandonment.

Where are you my Pureaton friends Help help help :confused::confused: "WHERE ARE YOU GUYS " I cry:wink2: I have to go and dry my keyboard ...

Picture this :D Funky pushing his engine-less cafe racer into the above desert scorching sun vulcers circling above .... 5twins and twomany and posibly Retiredgentalman calling me back and saying " Hey Pal, just buy a bigbore kit. Dude we will help fit it,,, Its a sinch " I look back with tear in my eye,,:( drop my new openface helmet in the sand :wink2: again they shout "Hey Limey,,, i mean Funky ,,,Come on back, they just don't get it dude, we will wright to Obamah and get this sorted out Ricky Tick ":doh: I want to turn round but my ethics and morals do not allow me too and all thats left is a tire track in the sand leading into a setting sun :thumbsup:

"Wheres he going? Thats like 150 degrees out there! he will never make it!" says 5twins
" Ar darn it " says Twomany "lets pop back tomorrow find the bike and split the parts Dude"
" What the hell "
says Retiredgentaleman "I wonder who got his engine I cudda rephazed that bad boy Yeh! that had a new pamco and high voltage coils too ...... I'm in lets meet at the mall ....dont forget the canteens of burben we dont wana be dying out here !!! " They get on there bikes ,,, and ride off ........THE END to the music of born to be wild :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:D:D:D WOW I like anything that burns fuel ex crew chief love it Im going to change my name to MAVRICK I bet he could build a bike or am i biggin him up to much :thumbsup:

It all good fun chaps sorry for my stories but I hope it made some of you Laugh...

All the best chaps Tally HO ..... FUNKY :yikes:

a small block chevy eng. is a small block chevy eng.262-400 cid it's still a chevy small block eng xs650 is a xs650 no matter whats been done to it stock - full on race bike it's still a ax650

Until its dead!

Hi westonboege,
it's amazing how dead they can be and are still reviveable.
dead and buried at a crossroads at midnight with a stake through it's heart, maybe.
Perhaps not even then.
E-check the guy who dug a dismantled 1913 Ariel out of a field and got it running again.

The aluminum piston expands more than the iron sleeve, by about a 13/9 ratio, closing up piston/cylinder clearance, which is predetermined at about 0.001" clearance per inch of bore, for normal street.

But, the overall displacement changes with this expansion...

Back