when is an engine to gone for a rebuild

jeepguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok so im looking at a 78 engine a guy has sent me some pics on my cellphone looks like it is missing the left case and has some weather wear not really rusty though. it isnt locked up what yall think. should i get it if the price is right..

What's the price? I picked one up for less than $50 that had seized pistons. Planned on doing a 750 kit anyhow so I wasn't worried about it. Any chance you know what the bottom end oil looks like in there?

when is an engine to gone for a rebuild

Nevair! As they say in France and maybe Louisiana. A mechanic once said to me nothing can go wrong with them that can't be fixed, which is a kind of reassuring thought.

The more wasted the engine the cheaper, and the more you will know is right with it when it's done. I'd like to get a completely wasted motor for nothing and spend the money making it perfect rather than spend it on what the seller says about the motor.

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and
more people who send text messages and e-mails have long
ignored the function of proper capitalization in writing.

Look at the example below:

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Is everybody clear on that?

here is a picture of the motor. its deff. gonna take alot of work.

Attachments

• xs650 005.jpg
    xs650 005.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 83
As long as the engine cases aren't broke it can be fixed. Depending on how they are broke it can still be fixed.
As far as "a lot of work" depends on your point of view. Some will look at the outside and see the dirty and say lot of work. I look at the way it runs and decide how much work it needs.
Pretty and clean don't make it run good.

Yeah man. Whenever I bought my seized engine. the bottom end looked A LOT better than what I figured it would look like. I was actually concerned on how bad it'd be. Man if you have a daily rider. Then take your time with it!

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and
more people who send text messages and e-mails have long
ignored the function of proper capitalization in writing.

Look at the example below:

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Is everybody clear on that?

tHanKS fOR ThE enGLIsH leSsOn. mAy i haVE aNOTheR?

Let's stay on point here and talk about Jeep's engine.

jImMY

Depends on what you are doing with it. There are lots of throw it in and run it engines around. I've got two sitting in chassis with less than 10 k on em, hear em run. For a price that won't get you out of the machine shop much less any parts. The bad? they are 30 years old, low miles or not. Or redwings fan has one all already to go fresh rebuild by punkscaler for what, $1,000?? If you have time and and the knowledge or want to learn to new skills then build away. Generally bike traders won't touch engine work there are plenty of runners out there.

well im picking it up friday and im not in a super hurry to finish. i am actually bout to start fixing a 1961 austin healey 3000 with my pops(he just retired and decided after 40 years it was time to restore it.) but i will dig into the engine quick so i can come up with questions for you guys

Back