WHERE DID IT GO , IM AM WORRIED

On a Small bike many many years ago I discovered scratches in my freshly bored cylinder they were caused by the piston rings at the ring gap....
so when I have to adjust ring gap any more I like to bevel the sharp 90 deg edge of the ring on each side with a file... just a few strokes with a file is all that is needed so they can't dig in to the cylinder wall. about 8 months after I did that the engine seased again ( i had a terrable problem with that bike seazing) and when I had the cylinder off there was no scratches in the cylinder just aluminum from the piston which came off with a hone...
So if I have the pistons off and all that in a bike engine I try to remember to take the sharp edge off the piston rings at the gap.... it works for me.
that bike seazed many times due to to small of a main jet in the carb and after taking it to the Honda shop many times they never once fixed it or told me what the problem might be..... only decades later did I discover carb jetting , and then I knew what the problem was !
I guess they figured that Kid was a Cash cow and they would milk it for all they could.....it turned out to be a poor business choice as I later became a Mechanic and pulled allot of their poor business away from them ! LOL....
I found that Honesty to the customer is the best policy even if he doesn't want to hear it. and when I found something that was a problem in any bike I usually fixed it along with what else was wrong.... Within reason....of course....
I never made a Killing in the motorcycle business but I did enjoy the work <GRIN> I have been told that "Your too honnest!" but I feel it nessarry to treet
others the way I would like to be treeted ! .... and I did gather a following slowly...but life got in the way and took me away from motorcycles for about 10 years at about the time when Yamaha came out with Shims for valve adjustment and a mechanic or shop had to have $15,000 worth of shims and equipment in stock just to adjust valves..... LOL I moved to Reno ,NV. and we started again.... this time I got into tractors ! HA !
f.w.i.w.....
Bob........

HI all thanks again . Jaybird I was told to use Millers Liquid glaze bust SAE 20 for running in which i did. Thanks Two many will try that when I get a chance back to work the next couple of days.BobKelly III my top scraper ring gap is slightly to big not too small but I Will take those corners of . Thanks again All

Last edited:
Ok chaps I rebuilt the engine and ran the heat cycles the first five little one minute ones, then a little more. Its running ok but one sides hotter than the other . Right side get warm and back fires the left runs fine but much hotter. Any idea of what it may be ....it might be air leak or balancing. Carb were fine prior to tear down took the bowls off and chained main jets from 137.5 to 142.5
Also changed the rubber carb mounts on the inlet it could be them as they were a second had set which came with some carbs i bought ,,, still got the old ones will re fit them .... I will have a look and a little check when im next off. Any advise will be welcomed . Oh and there is no smoke now, its not burning any oil.

Last edited:
Sounds like the idle jet needs to be adjusted to me..... do the "Dead cylinder adjustment" in the tech section on this site.
the right cylinder doesn't sound like it's running all the time.....
drill and remove the brass caps off the front of the towers of the carbs and pull them out with a sheet metal screw, don't go in too deep with the screw !
( if those plugs are still there).....the screw that needs adjustment is in that tube in the carb body
the dead cylinder adjustment makes all the diference in the world .....
have you ran it long enough to get a color reading on your sparkplugs ? Probably not.... when you get a chance to ride it,after you get both cylinders working...... take a color reading and a Pic of the plugs it will be interesting to see the change !
you've done well ! sounds like your about ready to put some miles on it !
Bob..........
I would re torque the heads AGAIN after you get both cylinders working 3 times should be be plenty one at idle till it gets warm the next after about a mile or two and then affter about 50 to 100 miles .... then I should be fine !.

Thanks BoB will get on it. had a look at the plugs abd they are lke a brown color put that was after running it for 5 x 1 minute heat cycles

Good to hear your bike is going, well done....what's the go with the carbs? If you have that sorted, ride the bloody wheels off it, oil changes are a key and don't baby it

BOB read about Dead cylinder and advised syncing carbs first .... you were spot on did the sync and Booom no more back fire cheers your a legend :)
Here are some pics of the plugs Mixture screws turned out 1 1/2 turns
DSCN2044.JPG DSCN2046.JPG Thanks Again

Last edited:
Michaelo thanks for the reply took me most of Friday re built the engine and fitted it in about 11 hours. Who needs Smedspeed hes not what he says he is he stopped building engines because he cant build engines. The piston clearance was too much on my old pistons which rocked in the cylinder rounding off the piston and caused blowby thats from a top Yamaha engineer who owns his own dealer ship with over 30 years experiance who build race boat engines and races them.

Last edited:
So what's the latest? Those plugs look like crap, are they the correct ones?
You will know that engine back to front soon, this is a good thing. It needs to get hot, run the bastard in.....

I did everything you boys told me put the bead of yambond on the head gasket top and bottom around the cam chain port and oil ways. I also fitted a small cone filter on the breather, hopefully it will be fine :thumbsup: I wll take it for a little run just ran it up for 5 minutes while synchronizing the carb so its time for a little run tomorrow.:bike:

Funky: if anything those plugs with the pick of your dial Carb sync tool look a bit rich to me !.... but their probably fine for the summer heat !
I'm glad to hear I was right for once ! LOL I try ..... LOL
keep after it..... you'll get it.
Bob.....

Yeah they are ok, but he's made an adjustment so putting new plugs in and running it for a few hours will give a different indication on the new plugs and how it's running, something you won't see on the ones he's shown Bob.

Ahh good to know Mick ! thanks !
I hope your able to save some of those plants in your front yard ! they were mighty purdy before the storm ! afterwords they looked like they went through Hell ! ...... Nothing like greenery to spiffy up a place !
C ya !
Bob........

Well the bikes back together just a little tunning and should be fine i changed my pilot jet to standard 85 and my mixture to 1 3/4 out . I rather be running rich than lean . I checked the valve clearance and cam chain tension and timming all good. went for a short ride about 2 miles before Easter dinner at my brothers.
Hopefully the bike will be fine. Thanks for all your help and support.
All the best Funky

Back