Where is the source of my gas leak?

bret

'81 Special
Reaction score
I put gas in my tank for the first time in over 6 months. No problems in the past but now there is a leak. The gas is flowing down to the bottom most put of the carbs. Mostly the left side carb but also the right side. Where could the source of this leak be?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 119
Your floats are not sealing off the needles in the carb bowls. Clean the carbs and check the float height. Next time the bike is not ridden for 6 months, run some stabil through the system prior to storage.

+1 From the looks of those carbs they are due for some loving anyways...
While you are at it petcock rebuild with parts and new fuels lines is a very good idea

Your floats are not sealing off the needles in the carb bowls. Clean the carbs and check the float height. Next time the bike is not ridden for 6 months, run some stabil through the system prior to storage.

Can you explain this in a "maintenance for dummies" sort of fashion? I understand the last part about running stabil through the system but the rest I don't.

+1 From the looks of those carbs they are due for some loving anyways...
While you are at it petcock rebuild with parts and new fuels lines is a very good idea

Just got a new fuel line from mikes actually. What would you recommend as far as giving the carbs some love? They honestly haven't been touched since I got the bike back in '08 :( besides of course exterior cleaning/polish

That's the jet needle. You need to remove the carbs and inspect the float valves, needles and o-rings. These are all located inside the float bowls. You should read the carb guide a LOT before you start. It's found in the tech/carbs section here.

Hi bret,
what the rebel sez, one or both of the carb floats are stuck down.
But before you tear into the carbs, give them a sharp tap with a small hammer.
Sometimes you get lucky and that jars the floats loose again.
And here's a trick you won't find in the carb guide.
Do all your carb work in a big ol' cafeteria serving tray.
The tray's raised edges will keep all those tiny little parts from falling onto the floor and then disappearing into the 4th dimension.

I have a hayne's manual and have been studying!

I think I'm gonna end up buying a carb rebuild kit from Mikes. Does anyone have any recommendations for an '81 special? I saw they have a plastic carb float... Not sure if I should buy the kit or seperate parts

A carb rebuild is 99% just a thorough cleaning, and during that, a replacement of anything that needs it. But not much usually needs replacing. A couple o-rings maybe but you can source them separately, no need for the kit. You already have the plastic floats, they never go bad, so no need to buy more. You may need to adjust the ones you have, that's all.

As you can see, I definitely have my work cut out for me... One of the floats is higher than the other and the carbs are extremely dirty. I'm not sure when the last time they were cleaned was but I've had the bike for 5 years now and this is the first time I'll be doing it.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 74
You will need to remove and free up the float valves. They may be a "better to just put in new ones" part. The tip is controlled by an internal spring, once they are gummed up inside it's hard to get them to work properly. Sometimes they just won't free up. Read the carb guide in the tech section here, it is much better than a Haynes or any other manual.

I hate to say it but you're probably better off paying someone to do the work. You know next to nothing from the looks of things and will probably cause more damage than you fix. Grab your wallet dude. The fact that you're thinking of buying rebuild kits from Mikes tells me all I need to know - you know nothing about carbs. Pay someone to do the work, it really will save you money in the long run.

Now I know, many people come here to learn and fix their bike on their own. I'm sorry but that's just not possible for some of you guys. Anyone can buy and own tools. Using them is another story. I know this sounds harsh, but it's the truth. Take your bike to the shop, it will cost hundreds, but they can fix it - you can't.

Bad thought, 5twins.
Bret,
firstly,you won't learn nothin' if you pay someone to fix your carbs.
Secondly, any fool can strip, clean and reassemble an XS650 carb set with simple inexpensive hand tools, carefully reading up on how it's done, and being bloody careful.
Thirdly, even if you turn your carbs into scrap the cost of a used replacement set will be less than paying shop rates for a professional carb cleaning job.
Fourthly, you won't fuck up the next set, right?

There are references to the carb guide. www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf is a link to it.
Read it, read it, print it out and read it.
Sorry if I didn't mention this but read the carb guide.
Once you have read the carb guide, follow the steps to tear down, clean, inspect your carbs. Once you have done this you can determine just what parts need replacing. Usually gaskets and O-rings.
Once you get any replacement parts, follow the guide to reassemble and adjust your carbs.
If you followed the steps in the carb guide your carbs should work well, if not go through the carbs and clean the places you missed.
Often for a first time carb worker this can require several tear downs before you get all the tiny passages clean.
Oh, by the way did I mention you should read the carb guide.
Leo

Thanks for all of your thoughts and opinions guys. I am definitely here to learn and explore my bike, so paying someone for the work is not an option unless I absolutely have to because I fucked something up too badly. I refuse to believe that I can't learn this stuff. Just from owning this bike for 5 years now I have already learned so much about it. I will take a look at my manual and the carb guides here and see what I can do. Btw- what is wrong with the carb rebuild kit from mikes? Are there more reliable options out there? Thanks

Hey Brett - Yes, You can do it. It might take twice, but you will get it done. The carb kits I got didn't have the right parts for my carbs - even though they said it did. I think I used a gasket out of the two kits. Lesson learned. :) Cleaning carbs is not hard. Be meticulous and you might have to do it just once. I like the lunch tray idea - I use a cake pan.

So after rethinking everything I decided to bring my carbs to the shop. I bought rebuild kits from Out West Motorcycles and they were delivered to the shop on Friday. Carbs should be cleaned and rebuilt by Tuesday and possibly even tomorrow. After thinking about it I decided I'd rather just pay (about $150) to have them professionally done so I know that they were done right. I'm very excited to get them back so I can put them back on the bike and see if it fires up. I'll post pics when I get them back

Back