Where to get a title ???

airbusflyboy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've got a late 1970 XS650 that does not have a title . Does anyone have first hand experience with getting a title for a bike ? Prefer a low hassle process if possible and cost to obtain this documentation .... I live in Tennessee and there is a process here to get a title but requires some hoop jumping to get it all done . Thank you in advance !!! PM is fine !

The issue is that I bought this bike without a title ....... The vin numbers check good , no issues ........ I need to get a title assigned to this bike , not sure who the last legal owner could have been ......... I also have a 1975 Kawasaki 750 triple in same status

Vermont is your answer. Look up past info on this site about titling. You don't get a title but you get a current registration and plate good for a year. Take the reg to your DMV and get a new reg and title in your state. tim

Some states it's not hard but most it's very hard to impossible. I generally won't buy a bike without a title if I plan on using it for more than the parts and scrap the frame.
Basically no title + parts bike.
If I want one to ride on the road it has to have good paper before I buy.
If the seller says it's easy to get a title, tell them you get it, then I'll buy the bike.
Leo

In MO you can sue the Dept. Of Revenue with a petition of declaratory judgement.
The lawyer fees vary for writing and filing the petition. A younger person just starting may be 2-300 $ cheaper than an established firm. Then you have court costs and filing/serving fees. You pay this upfront with the understanding you are suing someone and the judges decision may not go in your favor. My advise if you go this route is to have all your ducks in a row. Any and all receipts, manuals, a bill of sale, VIN checked for stolen, old title, etc. What the antique roadshow calls provenance to prove it's origin.
I currently am in this process. A bike that the owner failed to title in his name 10 years and 3 states ago. In 30-60 days I should be able to post the outcome.

Oklahoma has a title 13 process for abandoned vehicles. I've used it once. It took about 6 months and around $600 total costs including sales tax and tag.
Take care here you have to use a company familiar with the process and they are paid upfront. The company I used is no longer in business and according to some internet posts shafted some folks.

After the MO lawsuit is over I plan on trying the Vermont process as it seems to be cheaper than what I've done before.

In VT you pay $42 for reg/plate and 6%(I believe) sales tax based on NADA fair cond. Bill of sale, local PD verify VIN, insurance card. Easy peasy.

but you must be a VT resident to get an "exempt vehicle title" for vehicles over 25 years old, and have VIN visually inspected, and provide an approved notarized affidavit for missing paperwork, if my reading of their website is correct. not applicable to out of staters.

i've heard ME does bonded titles for 400 bucks or so, plus the cost of re-registering in your state. too much $$ and hassle IMO.

like Leo says, a no-title bike is a parts bike unfortunately...

I live in MA not VT and I have done this twice and I use my MA address. You don't get an exempt title you get a plate and VT registration good for one year. You take that to your DMV and transfer it to your state , and get your title. You do need to get the VIN visually inspected by your local PD, provide a signed bill of sale, and an insurance card, plus filling out the VT paperwork. You people are making this to difficult when it is not. Call802-828-2000 or2050 and talk to them you will see that It's easy.

yes i noticed your Boston location. not saying you're wrong, i just was not aware of any easy or cheap process in any state to get a title when paper trail has gone dead... or transferable registration in this case. so:

"You do need to get the VIN visually inspected by your local PD, provide a signed bill of sale, and an insurance card, plus filling out the VT paperwork."

1) i assume you must physically go to VT to fill out the paperwork?

2) what specific additional proof do they require, if any, that you are the legitimate new owner? or is it simply the 3 items you mentioned above?

3) do they issue the plate and registration on the spot or mail it after processing?

just trying to be crystal clear here. i did not read anything on VT DMV indicating it's that easy. i have several dead end frames on hand. could be worth it to drive over the border...

1-You do not go to VT to do paperwork. If you call them they will email the paperwork to you.

2-The mentioned 3 things plus I added a copy of the NADA value of the bike in "fair" cond. Mine was valued at $535 I believe. You pay 6% sales tax, perhaps a tic more.

3- Temp reg is sent out quickly, permanent reg and plate take about 7/10 days

Don't bother to go just call the number I posted. I will PM you.

sounds simple enough, so i stand corrected. thanks. PM sent.

i have two XS frames, one CB500T, and one GS750 that could all be sellable builds with paper...

Indiana isnt bad.

If you purchased a vehicle without a title then you must obtain a court order in order to title the vehicle in your name. You should contact the circuit court in your county of residence regarding the court order.

All court order title applications are processed by BMV Central Office Title Processing to improve the security and efficiency of these transactions. Prior to submitting each application, please verify that all required information is included. Contact 888-692-6841 with any questions.

When submitting paperwork, include the following:

Completed and signed Application for Certificate of Title - State Form 44049

Court Order - must establish ownership, provide a description of the vehicle (year, make, VIN), direct the BMV to issue title to the owner, and contain the signature of the judge and court seal or stamp. The order must be error free. Erasures or altered orders will not be accepted

Physical Inspection of a Vehicle or Watercraft - State Form 39530 completed by law enforcement. If the VIN/HIN on the inspection does not match the VIN/HIN on the court order, a corrected court order will be required before the transaction can be processed

Odometer Disclosure Statement - State Form 43230. Completed by the court appointed owner. All trailers and motor vehicles over 16,000 lbs exempt

Proof of Indiana Residency. Examples include an Indiana driver's license or ID card, utility bill dated within the past sixty (60) days, USPS change of address confirmation, or W-2. Visit mybmv.com for a complete list of acceptable documents

$15 title application fee. Fees are payable by credit card (MasterCard or Visa), check, electronic check, or money order. A $21 delinquent fee will be assessed on packets received 31 days after the file stamp date date on the Court Order.

Sales tax payment required if vehicle is also transferring ownership. Sales tax is 7% of the dollar amount listed on the order, or attach a bill of sale or purchase agreement. If no information is available to determine the purchase price, and bill of sale is not attached, sales tax payment will be based on the NADA fair market value of the vehicle.

Download complete order title application packet

Mail the completed packet to:

Central Office
Title Processing
100 North Senate Avenue, Room N411
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Back