how to get a title in michigan

deadchef

xsbobblehead
Reaction score
just wanted to pass along this information as i just completed the process.

1. go to your local sos branch and request an ownership certification form.
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/tr-205_16198_7.pdf

2. they will ask you if you can contact the previous owner. tell them you bought it off a guy on craigslist or whatever. you don't want to say you got it from a family member or friend. they will expect you to track them down. just an extra hassle. i told them the bike was delivered to me and i only know the first name of the guy and his phone is disconnected. good enough.

3. fill out the form. you then need to have an appraisal so they know how much to tax you (of course). you can get this a couple different ways. look up the value on nada.com, kbb.com or edmunds.com, print out the page and bring it in. unfortunately the lowest on nada is still over $500. the other way of doing it is to have it appraised by a certified michigan dealer. i went to a local used bike dealer, showed him some pics of the bike and asked him to put a $50 appraisal of the bike on a paper with the dealer letterhead. good enough.

4. go back to the local sos and they then do a vin check. this was kinda tricky as they want the whole long number. so the stamped number isn't enough. fortunately the '81 i picked up still had the sticker which had the long vin number (14 or 17 digits i think). otherwise you have to take the short number to the sheriff where he will do a vin check. they look for two things; is it stolen and/or is it titled in another state. this check takes about 20 minutes.

5. after the check comes back clean they charge you $15 for the title and 6% tax on the current value. you will receive a title in two weeks.

hope this helps anybody wondering about what it takes in michigan to title an old bike.

cheers!

Back