Where to get kick starter shim?

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
We just did the broken kick starter post repair on an engine. It was obvious that someone has been inside there before us.

I know there's a flat washer or shim that's supposed to fit between the end of the kick start shaft and the RH side cover. Ours is missing.

First of all.....which one is it on this diagram?
XS650kicker.gif

No. 9, 19 or 20?

Secondly, where can I get one?
Lastly, is there supposed to be one that fit's between the kick start gear assembly and the actual engine case?

After looking at my assembly, I'm pretty sure it's #9, but that looks much bigger than I remember. I can identify pretty much everything else on the assembly. There's not a shim or washer that goes against the engine case, is there?

EDIT: OK, I found some old VW alternator shims that fit the shaft like they were made from it. Now....does anyone know how many there are supposed to be or the proper thickness? I'm positive I can make this work if I know how thick it needs to be.

Last edited:
#9 93342-22518-00 in.BEARING,FLAT #42 | 442~ DISCONTINUED
The previous part this replaces is:
93342-22502-00 BEARING, THRUST

#19 611-45567-00-05 SHIM (0.5MM) Not Available

#20 90201-256K6-00 WASHER, PLATE (0.9T) | 442~

The schematic picture you have calls for the .5mm, but they came in .1mm,.3mm
and .5. See the part finder pic.
You might find one on a dealers shelf with enough phone calls.

Attachments

• kickstart shim.jpg
    kickstart shim.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
How, exactly, do you set up the shim between the assembly and the RH side cover? I've just always re-used what was there, but this one is missing. Do you set up "end play" on the kick start shaft? Or is the shim just to keep the aluminum side cover from wearing?

Back