Where to test charging components

borjawil

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so having issues charging. quick run down:
charged battery- reads 13.5- turn key on voltage dropped real quick- start engine reads 11.7-rev to around 3-5k (no tach) reads 12.15- turn off reads 12.4

drove down the black and it lights dim.

Now I know where the brushes are pick up stator/rotor reg/rec.
What Im unsure of is how to test these and what I am looking for. Where exactly do I put my meter leads and what does the object look like since i dont know what slip rings look like or where on the brushes i should touch. Where on the rotor i should touch, how big my brushes should be and where i measure from (guessing length). What else should i test and how? key on or off? am i testing ohms or voltage? If anyone has some time to take pics of them doing it or pics of the components with arrows or something pointing at it thatd work too. Hope ya guys can help me out im sick of this project lol.

Also its an 81 reg/rec combo ignitor box looks funny? got it this way. chopped wiring too.

Welcome to the site;

You have no charging, and that's very common. All you have to do is take some time and read the information that others have put together for this purpose:

At the top of the page............click on "Tech"

Click on "Maintenance and General Trouble shooting"
Click on "General XS650 trouble shooting"
Go down to "Battery"
read that area and be sure to read "Curly's guide for charging problems"

Very simple..............its a good way to learn about these bikes.:bike:

You see the top right search function....

This topic has been killed... If you can't find your answer there, go over to the 650 garage, download the Curly's troubleshooting guide ...

Lawrence

To test for magnetic field with a feeler gauge, only requires the key on. It says that in the explanation. I would use a 0.003" feeler gauge.................the 0.010" to 0.015" is a bit too stiff.

Do you have a repair manual? It shows how to test and with pics to show where to test.
Leo

Checked my manual does not show what the slip rings are. Im guessing they are the brass colored rings on the face of the rotor. If so im not sure how there are two of them. In the link i posted for the guide im using, when i jumped the green wire the voltage at the battery didnt go up when rev'd. It went down. rapidly. What does that mean? doesnt say anything in the guide for that..

Also when checking the brown wires voltage at the brush what is considered close? my battery is 12.6 the brown wire was 11.5

Last edited:
ok found video that shows how to do it. I got a reading of .3-.7 so my rotor is toast. brushes are excellent though, i think they're new. Sooo i guess ill replace that and see if that doesnt help me out.

Ok ill have to call em since there were no prices. If they can rebuild a rotor am i able to? any guides or write ups on this?

Back