Which coils for upgrade '75 XS650

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
I'm restoring a '75 XS650 with points ignition. I want to install some higher output coils. Which ones on Mikes XS are a good upgrade?

Not interested in going electronic ignition, just a bit of better spark.

IMO the lower resistance coils will not do anything for you. I just messed with a .5ohm banshee coil on a XS650 and NOTHING.
Your best bet would be give Dyna coils a call explain your situation and they'll set you up with a 3 or 4 ohm dual output or two singles etc.

I'm restoring a '75 XS650 with points ignition. I want to install some higher output coils. Which ones on Mikes XS are a good upgrade?

Not interested in going electronic ignition, just a bit of better spark.

The use of points and a high output coil(s), is really an oxymoron. Points are limited to 4 ohms, or greater, primary resistance. So that rules out using the high output coils that are down in the 3 ohm range.

You could use the #17-6822 coil (4.5 ohm primary) that Mikesxs sells. Its a dual output, lost spark type, so you fire the coil every 360 degree crank rotation. To do this you need to connect both sets, of the stock points, in parallel.

If you later decide to go with a Pamco, this coil will also work with the Pamco.

Back