Which spark plug? NGK BP7ES or BPR7ES

cocinero196

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, what NGK plugs do you guys recommend for a '76 xs650 w/ Stock Points and a '76 xs650 w/ Pamco High Output Ignition?

NGK BP7ES or BPR7ES? Or both will work fine for either setup?

TIA

I use the 5k spark plug caps and the BP7ES plug with the PAMCO and High output coil.

On your points equipped model, you don't need any resistance at all in the system. You could run plain non-resistor caps and the non-resistor plugs (BP7ES).

Hi, what NGK plugs do you guys recommend for a '76 xs650 w/ Stock Points and a '76 xs650 w/ Pamco High Output Ignition?
NGK BP7ES or BPR7ES? Or both will work fine for either setup?
TIA
Hi cocinero,
there's enough power in the ignition system that it'll still work acceptably with resistor plugs OR resistor plug caps.
But resistor plugs AND resistor plug caps is a bit too much strangulation for good running.
Best is to run with normal plugs and caps.
Resistors are to reduce AM radio interference and who listens to AM radio? It's either FM or cable these days.

I was at a flea Market again and found a heap of Spark Plugs and among them
found 6 x BPR7E New never used .. i believe those be resistor plugs and online seen that the S is for some Shielding
I took a chance and bought them under $1 a piece.

Does anyone know about this can these be used on Boyer Bransden ignition without resistor caps
Unless they are obsolete and old it is used somewhere without the need for shielding or am I missing something here.

NGK and BPR7E
R

Jan wrote Does anyone know about this can these be used on Boyer Bransden ignition without resistor caps?

Should be OK. I bought some non-resistor caps and ran with BP7ES and the Boyer gave up after a few miles. My understanding is that the Boyer requires some resistance, either in the caps or the plugs.

Back