Whine from front engine/transmission when downshifting

crashcourse

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I don't remember exactly when I first noticed this, but it was a bit ago (stupid of me to wait this long). Anyway, when I downshift and coast or engine brake, I get a whine from somewhere down in the front. I can't tell exactly where, because it only does it while I'm moving. But it is only when I am slowing down - accelerating is fine. I took off the cover plate on the left side of the engine to put a new chain on, and it might have started after that. Did I put it on wrong and screw up the clutch cable? It seems like shifting is a little more difficult too. Even when I pull in the clutch, the whine doesn't stop. Is my clutch not fully engaging? I'm not sure where to start, and I don't want to tear it apart without knowing what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Oh, and hi to all the other refugees who moved over here from 650Rider!

Actually, I think I may have solved it! There was almost zero free play in the clutch cable, so I turned out the nut on the clutch a little to give the clutch lever a bit of free play. My idle speed went up, and when I took 'er around the block a few times it seemed like the whine was either gone or greatly reduced. Might be my imagination, but she felt a lot more responsive too. Funny what an eighth of an inch will do, huh?

Yeah you gotta have some free play in the clutch. Make sure there is free play with the bars all the way to the left and right because the amount of free play can change slightly as the cables bend.

I bought a bike once where the guy used the adjuster on the throttle cable to adjust the idle speed. I've also seen choke cables adjusted too tightly. Turn the bars one way, the bike revs up and turn the bars the other way and the bike almost dies.

I wonder if the wine was your thrust bearing or something else. :shrug:

Maybe try putting slight pressure on the clutch as your downshifting to see if you can't replicate the problem.

Back