white oil out of breather

cros36

thread killer
Reaction score
there is a crack in one of my old crusty breather vent tubes. out of said crack the oil the drips out if white and milky. for the life of me i cant tell if it smells like gas. to me it smells more like exhaust. to be safe i dumped the oil and again it just smells like exhaust, and was really dark for only having maybe 300 miles with it. went for my first extended ride yesterday about 200 miles. need to adjust valves and all that but that is to be expected. my friend said that maybe its just getting aerated.
sorry im kinda rambling.
the question is whats up with this white milky oil out of the breather? :thumbsup:

If you mix water and oil you get milky colored oil.
If it is just cold condensation it should burn/evaporate if you get the motor hot.
Going into winter I don't get excited about "smokey exhaust" as the bike and exhaust warm, it goes away after abit.
One of the hazards of not running a motor long enough to get it hot is the consendsation can build over time.

thank you for the response. i had seen the milky breather oil on shorter runs (30 min) before. and i also seen it after a 3 hour (got lost out in the country, then ended up doing about 40 miles on the expressway) and it was still milky, also when i got home after 70 miles of straight expressway riding. so the bike was plenty warm. i mentioned the gas before because for some reason im really paranoid about gas getting into my oil. im not running too rich, if anything im too lean, and my floats are dead on. i pulled my carbs anyways and im going to be checking the float level this afternoon. oil in the case was not milky, just dark.
i should also mention that i do not have the 'oil return baffle' installed. i was told by a member here that i may get excessive mist out of the breathers with this not installed. could maybe have something to do with this? at this point im not too terribly concerned, because im not burning too much oil and the milkyness is only comming from the breathers.

I was pretty concerned about the white vapor coming out of my breather...I mean, at the beginning it looked like I was burning incense on top of my engine.

I changed the oil and checked the filters etc, pulled the clutch and checked that, nothing was telling me there was something wrong.

I drove it around and after about a 100 miles it just kind of stopped. Motor hadn't been run in god knows how long and was making good compression and not burning oil, so I can only assume it was water boiling off.

Back