Why 4" stretch in the hardtail?

That is one awesome looking 650. Very thought out. Still a little more room would pry make it more ridable IMHO. But I would def take it. Is that someones bike that frequents here?

most of the frames i build are either two styles. traditional off the top of the backbone or drop seat. when i build a drop seat frame i add 4 inches in the rear rigid stretch to allow for the rider to sit at a lower seat height. if i build a traditional rigid i add 2 inches in rear stretch to allow more room behind the motor for battery box etc. i dont do spring seat assy. but instead do monoshock seat setups and this also allows me room for a single monshock for the rear of the seat in a 2 inch stretch bike. so either way i like to stretch them out either 2 or 4 inches for seat height, convenience, and for fake oil bag and battery box.

My ride is a 0" stretch, my own frame of course...

BMR2010.jpg

I am 6' tall and ride this plenty of times, often 800 miles in a day if I can...

im 6 foot 225 lbs and there is no way i could or would ride a stock length xs hardtail expecially with mids. it would kill me having my knees bent that tight that far. congrats on the 800 miles per day. never met anyone that has ever done that on a regular basis. most cant do that in a car. what is your secret?

lets see 800 miles even with no stops for gas every 100 or so miles would mean a trip averaging 60 miles per hour would take 13.333 hours. that said, averaging 60 means some time at 70 plus and others at 50 or below depending on riding circumstances so lets see add 15 minutes per gas stop if they are @ 100 miles apart adds 2 more hours to the trip for a total of 15.333 hours in a 800 mile trip. your rear sproket looks like stock size so that means that the bike cruises about 65 to 70 max. so realistically since it is almost impossible to travel 60 everywhere lets say the trip will prob take about 17 hours with gas and rest stops.

nope most wont or cant do that in a car either.

what is your secret? 17 plus hours on a rigid for 800 miles with your knees bent like that?

forgot to mention that bike looks pretty small with your lage self on it. i cant help but think that you would be much more comfortable if you could stretch out some.

your rear sproket looks like stock size so that means that the bike cruises about 65 to 70 max. so realistically since it is almost impossible to travel 60 everywhere lets say the trip will prob take about 17 hours with gas and rest stops.

nope most wont or cant do that in a car either.

what is your secret? 17 plus hours on a rigid for 800 miles with your knees bent like that?

I've done some long stretches of highway at over 100mph for a few minutes, plus most of my highway riding I never drop below 70-75. 800 might have been a stretch, but I have done numerous 600+ mile day rides without giving it a second thought... When I go riding, I usually leave at day break and don't come home til way late... I get about 125-130 miles out of a tank. Guys I ride with have done over 1500 mile days before, usually riding more than 24 hours straight to do so...

As for comfort, Im not that big, Im 185 lbs give or take 5 lbs.... The rear-mid sets controls were built for my comfort. The re-phased engine is smooth as silk so fatigue is less of an issue, and I even run solid aluminum hand grips. Thanks for jumping to conclusions about the bike. I run MikesXS 5th gear overdrive, and a 18 tooth front sprocket and 32 tooth rear sprocket for much higher cruising speeds than suggested... My bars are further forward than most as well, again custom made to fit me and the bike... Riding a rigid isn't tough at all once you get used to it, the rearsets allow for the rider to ride over larger bumps by putting the weight on his/her legs rather than into their back... I agree, most XS's can't be ridden for that long on a regular basis...

here is another pic from a 1300 mile ride weekend, loaded with camping gear and a pair of extra socks:

FH000010-1.jpg

Might look uncomfortable, but laying on the tank and cruising is very comfortable to me :thumbsup:

Punkskalar, You bike and build have been very inspiring. From your threads I get the impression you'd be a fun fella to party and chat with.

I'm all about the no stretch or very little. No need for a fake oil bag. I also think it' about time people stop hiding the mess and start making their wiring/battery look nice.

Punkskalar, You bike and build have been very inspiring. From your threads I get the impression you'd be a fun fella to party and chat with.

I'm all about the no stretch or very little. No need for a fake oil bag. I also think it' about time people stop hiding the mess and start making their wiring/battery look nice.

haha, well, I have alot of fun hanging out with me. :laugh:

If you run a Permanent MagnetAlternator and a Pamcopete Ignition, the bike will run and charge on less than 5 wires.... It makes for a super clean bike and no need for "fake" anything, its all real man :bike:

Back