Will powder coating hurt the rims and bearing in long run?

copett88

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I am planning to powder coat the rims. I haven't done it before, so a little concerned about how it will affect the rims and the bearings. Should I take any precautions? Or should I not do it? It would be great, if someone who has actually done the powder coating on wheels could share their experience.

I have power coated many rims and you have to take out the bearings and make sure there is no plastic on rims or it will melt. What I mean by plastic some motorcycle shops use plastic weights to true your rim. A good power coating company will blast your rims before putting on the powder and the heat is so high that anything you leave will melt and fall out like bearings. When power coating parts anything that has treads should have a screw in it or material will get in there and you will have to clean up threads after you get parts back.

Short answer is no. Powder coating has no effect on bear life.
Now the long answer, the process of powder coating requires that you remove non metallic parts. Bearings are sealed units, the seals are often plastic or rubber. The powder coating process requires heating to in excess of 400 degree. This will destroy plastic parts, ruining the bearings.
On spoked wheels most remove the spokes and bearings, on the hub is a chrome steel cover that hides the bolt holes for a second brake rotor, powder coat the hubs and rims the relace with new spokes.
On the mag wheels there is a plastic cover on one side of the hub. This cover hides the bolt holes for the second brake rotor.
As mentioned remove any wheel balance weights before coating. Use Dyna Beads when you put on new tires. That way you don't have ugly weights on the wheel.
When you remove the bearings , the stress of removal damages the bearings. Replace with new.
Leo

I recently had my rims and hubs powder coated. I removed all bearings, seals, spacers, etc. It's a perfect opportunity to install new bearings and seals for a relatively low price. You can't put a price tag on peace of mind.

UM

You will possibly damage one bearing during the removal process, the first bearing you do. Once that side is open, if you can remove the other one by only pounding on it's outer race, you may save it and be able to reuse it. So, if you have a wheel with one good and one bad bearing, knock the bad one out first.

No matter what you do if you leave them in the guy powder coating the rims will hand them to you because they will fall out. I take them out clean where the bearings sit good because ANY bit of oil left will drip out and there goes a good job to a bad one.
If you need a good powder coater in NEW JERSEY AREA COAST TO COAST near Freehold is who I have used for 10 yrs. One of my bikes is in there add. This one in the avatar (orange bike) . I am taking two tanks over for coating before XMAS.

Make sure that you speak to your powder coater about masking off any areas of the hub that you don't want powder coating on (i.e. Bearing surfaces and bolt holes).

They should have special heat resistant tape and plugs for masking. Cheap hardware store bolts also work well for any threaded holes.

Not sure what colours you are considering for the rims, however if you looking at chrome powder, be aware that it likely needs to be clear coated for protection. This will dull the sheen a bit and make the finish look closer to aluminium.

copett88,

Here is a thread discussing powder coating spoked rims. http://www.xs650.com/threads/low-heat-powder-coating-for-hubs.45971/#post-460206

On my 77'D powder coating went well with bearings removed. After two years they still look good. I coated rims, hubs and spokes and thought I might regret coating the spokes but they still look good and have held up well without chipping or cracking.

It would be worth your while to make sure your powder coater is used to working with bike rims.

roy

It doesn't hurt the bearings because you'll need to take'em out.

The hammer and whatever you are holding in your hand, hitting with the hammer, driving the bearings out ...... that will hurt the bearings. You'll want to order new ones.

Mine are powder coated. Works great.

It doesn't hurt the bearings because you'll need to take'em out.

The hammer and whatever you are holding in your hand, hitting with the hammer, driving the bearings out ...... that will hurt the bearings. You'll want to order new ones.

Mine are powder coated. Works great.

I think my powder coating was not taped off right. My new rear sprocket won't fit. Did you have to shave some off or tape off the rear for sprocket clearance?

I think my powder coating was not taped off right. My new rear sprocket won't fit. Did you have to shave some off or tape off the rear for sprocket clearance?

The place that powdercoated mine used little round stickers over the threaded holes for sprocket/rotors and tape for the part that sticks out in the middle of the hub. I had to clean it up a little bit with a dremel and a file to get the sprocket to sit flush.

Yeah I bought a project with idiot powder coated wheels it was a serious pain in the ass getting back to metal to mount the sprocket and disks. Took hours and some creative fiddlefutzing.

A powder coater is a powder coater, don't expect them to be a mechanic or engineer.

Scott

True that! But it may be a useful part of selecting a tradesman; seeing if they know what is what when powdercoating. Covering bearing races, bolt holes and gasket surfaces is part and parcel of the process.

True that! But it may be a useful part of selecting a tradesman; seeing if they know what is what when powdercoating. Covering bearing races, bolt holes and gasket surfaces is part and parcel of the process.
I agree with gggGary. My guy taped all the other points right, why not these? He even said we always make sure to cover these contact points. To me its part of the process.

A powder coater is a powder coater, don't expect them to be a mechanic or engineer.

Scott

My point being......Did you discuss the sprocket area needing masking with the PC'er ? Good idea to go over every critical area with the PC'er, better yet that they take notes.

Scott

My point being......Did you discuss the sprocket area needing masking with the PC'er ? Good idea to go over every critical area with the PC'er, better yet that they take notes.
Scott
100% correct! Assume NOTHING when it comes to subletting jobs. Best is a wired on tag on each piece to be worked on with details. Odds are the guy taking the order will hand it to the shop flunky to completely Fuggle for your later enjoyment.
Bike was bought as a basket/project. PO gave up when he found the mikeXS SS spokes "were too long" LOL put the spokes in correctly then had to mount sprocket and rotors on the hubs. :banghead::cussing::mad: should have kept that bike, it had a nicely welded on brat kit.

While I have been tempted a time or three, I gotta say; powder coating is not for me. Paint can be removed with a quick splash of stripper or solvent when fashion changes, powdercoat? not so much.

Last edited:
Back