Will the tire 150/80-16 fit this my stock 16" rear wheel?

BobberNick

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Will the tire 150/80-16 fit this my stock 16" rear mag wheel? The marking I see on my wheel is 16 x 3.00. There is a good deal on a slightly used tire that I would like to get if anyone knows if it will fit my rim. I just don't know enough about tires to pull the trigger on it.

Thanks,

Bobber Nick

Attachments

• whitewall tire.jpg
    whitewall tire.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 310
  • whitewall tire 2.jpg
    whitewall tire 2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 340
  • BOBBER NICKS XS650 PROJECT.JPG
    BOBBER NICKS XS650 PROJECT.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 383
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It looks like I found a tread telling me it would work. Can anyone confirm that it will fit?

Hears the thread:

- 3.00 x 16...rim, here is an indication of what tyre size is recommended for relevant rim sizes

...tyre..............rim
130/90-16...2.50 - 3.50
140/90-16...2.75 - 3.75
150/80-16...3.00 - 4.00

I guess my questions is, will this fit my stock - hardtail conversion frame? The tire looks pretty wide.

Attachments

• FRAME SUPPORT 1.jpg
    FRAME SUPPORT 1.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 249
It'll definitely fit the rim although the small rim will pinch it and make it a bit taller. Now for fitting the frame it's a toss-up, not to mention how far are you gonna have to offset the sprockets. I'm thinkin' too much trouble -- not worth the effort.

How tough is is to offset the sprockets? I assume the reac can be done fairly easy with shims. Would I have to purchase a new drive shaft for the front sprocket? I like the size of this new tire. I think it would look really cool on the bike.

im running a kenda 140 rear tire with 520 sprockets. the chain has about a 1/4 inch between the frame (hardtail) and about the same to the tire. just a thought. a narrower chain will give you more room to play with.

Thanks everyone for your help! The tire fit perfectly on my stock rims and the fender I have. I think I'm going to try and sell those wire rims with the sprocket/drum combo.

thanks, Bobber Nick

Actually the 520 chain won't give you any more room between the chain and tire. A 520 sprocket sets against the hub the same as a 530 sprocket. So the 520 has the same clearance as the 530 chain.
A 140 wide tire won't hit the chain. On a swing arm bike it hits the brake strut and swing arm. Unless you gring off some of the chicken strip on each side of the tire.
Leo

Last edited:
The ride I have is a hardtail... I need to mount the motor this week. I guess I'll let you all know if the tire fits without having to mod the original sprocket.

To offset the front you need an offset sprocket. No one builds a longer output shaft for the transmission.
Leo

Back