UnTracker Tracker Tires

jpdevol

Hacker of Frames,Wires and other things
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So (a few yrs ago) I drank the kool-aid on my tracker build and went with 19" rims (OEM mags) f & r - and also Dunlop K180 dirt tires. They do look cool....

However, it's not the best handling set-up on the pavement. Despite tapered bearings, Minton mods, shimmed swingarm, etc. it still wants to do a bit of "head shake" in fast sweepers ~65-70mph. Gains have been made - the biggest being Racetech springs with some pre-load spacers - but, it still objects to being pushed too hard.

So the next move is to try some decent road tires - not a lot of options @ 19" - and looking for some input before I pull the trigger. I'm thinking 110/90 front and 120/80 rear (both front tires) in a modern looking tread and compound.

Currently leaning toward Bridgestone Battlax A41's ("adventure/sport touring")
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/48766/bridgestone-battlax-adventure-a41-motorcycle-tires

Thoughts please??

I'm sure better tires would improve things. But maybe just maybe it would be just as good to accept what you have. Slow down and enjoy the scenery. Enjoy the cool factor when you stop for a ice cream cone.
A couple of years ago at a rally I was passing a semi going up a hill trying to keep up with the group. As I got next to the semi the wash from it upset my bike. I gave the steering damper a couple of clicks and powered through it. Next time we stopped another rider said he noticed my bike "wobbling" as I went past the semi. Got me thinking what the hell was I trying to prove. A wobbling bike at 80mph is not a good thing. I decided then keeping up with the group was not that important.

Try some Pirelli MT-53 copies. 400 x 19 both ends. Made by Duro (I think) :thumbsup:
r side wheel.jpg

You already know no one makes a well suited set of tires forthat rim size.
I have these (stock size, unsure of the front rim width) on the r1200GS and to me they feel good and stable on the road.

Shinko Dual Sport 705 Series Front Tire (110/80-19TL Bias)​

1676854717096.png

Larger tread blocks should help? On the narrow stock XS rims It's going to be forced into a higher profile than ideal.

Kinda relevant; I ran a pair of Michelin Pilot road 3 110/80/18 front tires on an XS with WM5-18 rims
That front tire's life on the rear was um abysmal. It worked great (while it lasted, mebby 1500 miles to bald). I went to 120/80 and 130/80 to get rear rated tires, tread life back there is still short, the third rear is due.... but the front Pilot Road 3 is still going and sticking with great feel, 8Kish miles on.

A list of "Road, track tires to fit the R1200GS https://twotyres.co.uk/bmw-r1200gs-tyre-guide/
several/ many available in the 110/80 19 size. (front)

The rims are narrow? Could that contribute?
Yeah, the rims are 1.85 front and 2.15 rear, so narrower than recommended for current tires (120/90 & 130/80) - a 110 & 120 are moving the right direction.
Make sure head bearings aren't too snug, that will make the head shake.
Yeah, I typically don't use a torque wrench on the rings and might have them a bit snug vs. spec.

Good linked article ggg, thanks. I was hoping to find Pilots or Avon radials to try, but either the sizes aren't available to match f & r or sold out. The sold out part is why I'm shopping now.

MB - I've got Pirelli Demons on my RD and they put it on rails; alas the right sizes aren't available for the tracker. I'm wanting to try a more road oriented pattern to see if it's more stable.

I don't really ride that hard, just looking for a solid ride and the comfort of knowing there aren't any chassis gremlins waiting to surprise me:yikes:

Last edited:
Original XS1100 f. rim on the rear using Omar's conversion stuff.:) Front is just stock 650SG

If I trailer to the Ozarks rally I might get Madness dressed up like that again, Would be an incentive to make a decent set of sidecovers for her. And a few other spiff ups. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back