UnTracker Tracker Tires

If I trailer to the Ozarks rally I might get Madness dressed up like that again, Would be an incentive to make a decent set of sidecovers for her. And a few other spiff ups. :rolleyes:
Standard covers fit nice and the work to do it is easy.
1676924681792.png

Last edited:
GGGary, Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me as if your bike is a Special W/ a Radian swing arm.
you're wrong.

;^)
but a common mis-identity, it's a custom swingarm from a guy "back in the day"
I got a build sheet with the bike.
swingarm text.jpg

Will be interesting to see what tires JPD decides on.

you're wrong.

;^)
but a common mis-identity, it's a custom swingarm from a guy "back in the day"
I got a build sheet with the bike.
View attachment 236015
Thanks. I'm just trying to decide if I want to move my upper shock mounts on my Spl. to the Std. location in order to raise the rear a little. I will be running the Radian arm I bought from @halfmile and probably the 13" eye to eye Koni's we talked about earlier. Building a street tracker.

Thanks. I'm just trying to decide if I want to move my upper shock mounts on my Spl. to the Std. location in order to raise the rear a little. I will be running the Radian arm I bought from @halfmile and probably the 13" eye to eye Koni's we talked about earlier. Building a street tracker.
:hijack:
It is a special with a standard seat.

as first built in the 80's
RG20.jpg
When I bought it.
xs14.jpg
Today
november 2020 madness.jpg

:offtopic:

If ya'll haven't guessed this tire change test is an attempt to keep-up in the Ozarks. Shall I keep the choice under wraps 'till then?
Shinko 08's ???.
Those slicks look pretty awesome. This tire change is a stop-gap aimed at the Ozarks: what if it rains??:yikes:

Adam & Arctic: those are some awesome looking candidates!👍

Last edited:
When I raced sailboats (still do a bit) I usually had the best prepared hull, rig and sails of the fleet, but just one bad move and the fleet leaves you behind.....
To be clear, we are NOT racing in the Ozarks. The pace is set for old guys on old bikes. Still, not so slow as to be dull.

When I raced sailboats (still do a bit) I usually had the best prepared hull, rig and sails of the fleet, but just one bad move and the fleet leaves you behind.....
Or nature drops the wind away, just for you, as you watch them all depart.

1677032748243.jpeg

This Michelin Pilot Active 100/90-19 was a good tire very stiff (and a bit on the heavy side). Think that's a WM4 2.50x19" rim.

Or nature drops the wind away, just for you, as you watch them all depart.
I have had a "private puff" that drove my boat through a fleet while the other boat floundered watching enviously.
My point really was that I would love to ride one of Kenny Roberts race bikes, but even saddled on such a steed , I would fall behind the pack. I will remain a "flower sniffer" and know that that my memories of how fast I "was" are good enough. The Ozarks are fabulous scenery and riding and we all enjoy them at our pace. Add the best group of XS650 fools in the States and it is win win for all who show up.

To be clear, we are NOT racing in the Ozarks. The pace is set for old guys on old bikes. Still, not so slow as to be dull.
Let me be completely clear. I rode the Ozarks last with about 7-800 miles under my belt after being out of riding for 25 years. I am stull regaining my riding skills. I had the time of my life and did not hurry to catch up. And every one of the other riders are people I would like to label "friends".

Let me be completely clear. I rode the Ozarks last with about 7-800 miles under my belt after being out of riding for 25 years. I am stull regaining my riding skills. I had the time of my life and did not hurry to catch up. And every one of the other riders are people I would like to label "friends".
And your clutch was slipping.... ;)

Tires shouldn't really give you a speed wobble at a certain speed. If they are properly balanced they should be good up to their rated speed. What does give you speed wobble is the head geomatry. By changing the rear wheel size you will have changed the angle of approach of the front. So a steering dampner would be the fix for the speed wobble.

Tars fixed it! So, friends and neighbors, if your tracker has Dunlop K180's or Shinko 268 dirt track tires (tried both) - and you get a little "wiggle/shimmy" @ 65+mph in the "sweepers". Mount up a couple of road tires of your choice.

I happened to go with Bridgestone Battlax A41's, but I suspect that any of the above suggested tires would work👍

Thank you all for your input!😁

BTW - I hated to part with my cool looking, fat dirt trackers and mount the skinnier road tires, but :shrug:

Back