Will these work?!

Amstutz

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Pretty new to the forums as well as owning a 650. Ive pretty much been a car guy, but have recently gotten the bike bug. Picked up my 650 this summer and have already began replacing and modifying. Everything i've gotten/done has been pretty straight forward in terms of installing. However from researching i've noticed switching mags to spokes can be a bit tricky. I'd like to straighten out my stance with 19" in the front and 18" in the back. I'm just wondering if this set i've found will work with my 78 special. Any help is much appreciated, and sorry if this post is redundant.

Bike when i first got it and wheels in question

Attachments

• IMG_3938.jpg
    IMG_3938.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 165
  • $T2eC16NHJI!FHSf0THcSBSZ6851gIQ~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16NHJI!FHSf0THcSBSZ6851gIQ~~60_57.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 125
  • $(KGrHqRHJ!4FJR,Zm1BcBSZ69luODw~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqRHJ!4FJR,Zm1BcBSZ69luODw~~60_57.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 130
Yes front will bolt on, you will need to use the brake rotor from your special.

Rear will bolt on with the correct RH spacer but you will need the drum brake linkage through the pivot shaft and a tab welded on the frame for the torque link.

Your special looks very sharp.

Yes front will bolt on, you will need to use the brake rotor from your special.

Rear will bolt on with the correct RH spacer but you will need the drum brake linkage through the pivot shaft and a tab welded on the frame for the torque link.

Your special looks very sharp.
Awesome! thanks for the help. Will another rear wheel work better with my bike in terms of direct bolt on? Or will those modifications be needed for any spoke rear wheel i find?

Welcome to the site. That is a very nice bike. The wheels might bolt on but by the time and money spent on putting them on it not worth it. You could buy another bike with the wheels on it from the factory. I like the specials and the wheels you have on yours. You have done a great job so far improving. Going to a spoke wheel is not improving in the sense of the word my opinion. If it is a stance issue and the 16" wheel is the problem. I would put another aluminum wheel on it. Lots people have done that. Improving is better brakes SS lines, Front suspension upgrade better rear shocks. Unless you have spoke fetish sell those wheels to someone who does. Other than risking fucking it up. It looks great now, stop improving. :thumbsup:

Changing the rear wheel to an 18 inch won't change the stance much. The over all height of the 130/90-16 is about 25.2 inches. A 110/90-18 is about 25.7 inches. Is 1/2 inch really going to make a difference.
It will change the look but the stance not so much.
Leo

Back