Wire Identification

bpd106

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey All,
I've reviewed all of the excellent wiring diagrams on this great site, but I'm in the process of a "simple wiring setup" on my '81 Special II. I'm stuck on the identification of what the blue wire on the key switch is for, as well as the blue/white and brown that are coming out of the kill switch/start button housing. I've decided to use the stock key switch as well as the kill switch and start button. So far, the rest is a piece of cake. Just stuck on those couple of items. I'm using a breaker type set up instead of fuses. I can only assume that the blue wire out of the key switch is for lighting? Confused on the brown and blue/white big time though.

Thanks in Advance,
bpd106

The blue wire on the switch goes to the tail light, it's lit as long as the key is on. The brown wire at the right side switches feeds power to the kill switch. The blue/white wire goes to the start button.
The starter functions by power being fed off the kill switch to the stater relay on a red/white wire. The blue/white wire on the start relay goes up to the blue/white wire of the start button. When you push the start button it grounds to the handle bars to trip the relay and power the starter.

My blue from the switch goes to the tail light. It is the running light, so when the key is turned on the rear, and front, lights come on. Blue/Wht goes to the starter relay. I only have a brown that comes from the key switch, connects to the brush in the stator, then reg/rec, then connects to a R/W. Where the Br and R/W connect they split, both go thru the fuse box. The R/W goes to the start/kill switch,(con't below) and the brown connects to the flasher, brake lights, horn, and then ends at the dash. I think the brown goes in the dash to the neutral light.
(con't)The R/W to start/kill, then back out to the ignition and to coil.

Hey Thanks LittleBill.,Sorry didn't mean to miss you, we must've been typing at about the same time when I was thanking Leo. So..the brown from the kill switch will tie into the brown from the key switch brown correct? Since the brown on the key switch will be tied into the other browns which I believe are all leading back to the fuse box/breakers/regulator etc?
I'm really trying to not overthink this but I'm pretty sure I'm making it more complicated then what it is

Thanks Again,
bpd106

All the browns can go together. It's like a main vein.
I have an '81, but no brown came out of the right switch, only the key. here's a diagram.

Attachments

• 10703-1981_xs650h_sh.jpg
    10703-1981_xs650h_sh.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 70
I think they used kill switches with a brown wire and a red/white wire and some with two red/white wires. Some years diagrams show one way others the other.
I think they used whatever the subcontractor gave them.

That sounds right Leo, cuz on mine, coming off the switch, it has a brown, r/w and a blue/white. They end at a harness plug, where they plug in to, red/white to red/white, brown to red/white, and blue/white to blue/white. I'm trying to fugre out if the one with the brown to the red/white makes a difference where it goes, as long as it ends up along with the other red/whites in the diagram. I wouldn't think so would you?

Thanks,
bpd106

Mine, after I rewired it, has a r/w from the coil. This connects to the r/w from the ignition. After their connection they go into my kill switch, which is mounted on the battery box. Out of the kill switch it goes to brown. So the brown starts at key switch to brush, reg/rec, then the r/w from kill ties in here, fuse, brakes, flasher, then ends at the horn.

Back