Wiring Guru's needed PLEASE !!!!

mhanks71

80 Chopped XS
Reaction score
So I dont know crap about wiring! Read many posts on here and printed many Diagrams. Still lost. I have a 1980 650 Special. Its chopped and the stock harness is off. I'm running headlight(hi/lo), tail/brake light, Pamco Ignition, Very small battery, kick only and a mini ignition switch(3 pos key). I know this might be asking for alot but if anyone has the time please help with something that tells me what to hook to what and where to hook it to in the simplest form possible. If anyone responds, thanks in advance.:confused:

m, someone on here has an answer. I can't help you with it, but wanted to let you know that it's just a matter of who logs on and when... someone in this knowledgeable lot will assist, guaranteed.

TC

mhanks;

Here is a simple diagram for your setup:

wiring5.jpg

Thanks Pete . A few questions though, Can I just eliminate the wire for the starter ? Is the brake light switch for the front and back (I'm using both)? Whats the PWR Outlet for ? And there are 3 wires coming from my brushes (I'm assumimg thats what is in between the Rec/Reg and Alt right?). Also my stock Coil has a red/white wire and an orange wire, which does what ? The stock harness is gone so I'm starting from scratch.

Its the Ignitor Box (the brain) . A black box about 4"x4". Its on 80-84 models with electronic ignitions. Maybe 79, I'm not sure.

OK, one more time lol. The XS has never had (in standard trim) a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition). The '80 on models in some parts of the world, had TCI (transistor Controlled Ignition). All other XS's were points ignition. :cheers:

Thanks Pete . A few questions though,
1. Can I just eliminate the wire for the starter ?
2. Is the brake light switch for the front and back (I'm using both)?
3. Whats the PWR Outlet for ?
4. And there are 3 wires coming from my brushes (I'm assumimg thats what is in between the Rec/Reg and Alt right?).
5. Also my stock Coil has a red/white wire and an orange wire, which does what ? The stock harness is gone so I'm starting from scratch.

1. Yes.
2. Yes. Just wire the switches in parallel.
3. It's a standard two conductor plug used to plug in your trickle charger, timing light, heated gloves, emergency light, GPS, electric shaver, portable TV, roadside compressor, toaster, cell phone, laptop etc. Also, the chicks will ask you "What's that little dongle thingy?" (hopefully, referring to the PWR outlet)
4. Only two wires to the brushes. That's that little box drawn at an angle between the reg/rect and the alternator.
5. If you mean the coil that came with the PAMCO kit (won't be stock until you install it) it doesn't matter which wire is used for what. If the coil is a 17-6822, then you can remove those wires to reveal standard male spade connectors right on the coil.

thanks guys, mine is a 79, came with points but i got a pamco unit now. i dont see a cdi in the wiring diagram above (the one i plan to use) do i need one? sorry if this is another dumb question ;)

rustynail99 the CDI :doh: Tci is the ignition pick up so if you install the pamco then you are replacing the CDI: :doh:: Tci (sorry couldn't resist)..............Points, Tci, Pamco all do the same job of distributing the spark to the plugs so only one system at a time can be used............With your points bike you can install the pamco and keep the points and plate with you and if......never would happen in a million years, don't swear.....the pamco let you down then you could reinstall the points and keep going..........you would have to carry another set of separate coils though ..........or...... have a dual lobe single points cam and it will run on the dual output coil

Ok guys , started tackling the wiring and have a few questions.

(1) can I have a common ground ?
(2) my kill switch has two wires (black & white) is the power side white and the black always ground ?
(3)I have three wires (orange,grey,black) coming from a little black box by the alternator and I dont know where to connect those. Were the connected to my ignitor ? now that I'm using Petes Ignition do I need these hooked up ?
(4)What are the blue and brown wires fron the stock key switch for ?
(5)There is a ground wire connected to the top of my top motor mount , where does the other end go ? The bottom of my top motor mount ?
Thanks in advance guys .

mhanks,

1. Yes.
2. The kill switch is in series with power going to the coil and PAMCO. There is no ground involved. Doesn't matter which wire is used.
3. Sounds like the TCI pickup wires. Not needed.
4. If this is a stock switch, then red to battery through a fuse, brown to the fuse box and blue to the tail light, but if you are using the above diagram (#6), the blue is not used
5. That was a carry over from the points system. The factory kept installing that ground wire for years, but it is not used.

mhanks71,

Well, you gotta fix your bike first, then we'll talk about it....:thumbsup:...no slackers allowed in the family.....:shrug:

Thanks for the explain on the lil angled box in the diagram...as it isn't marked I had no idea what was missing when I wired mine. Put in a new regulator triple checked the wires...not knowing I had no power to the brushes and no charge consequently. Been riding on battery power and scratching my head for a month. LOL

Back