Wiring Harness for a 1978 XS650

boothjr

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1978 stock XS650 Frame and engine SN same -2F)-115832 built 2/78 according to white frame tag. Ordered Mike's XS harness "Fits: XS650E 1978 OEM Ref.# 2F0-82590-51-00." Harness has same basic wiring except the white plastic connectors are different. I don't mind one or two but more like six. Mike's isn't sure why, sent photos no joy. Photos are attached below.

:banghead:Other choices are either XS650F 1979. OEM Ref.# 2F0-82590-52-00 or Main Wiring Harness - Fits: XS650SE 1978. OEM Ref.# 2MO-82590-50-00.. ID Chart shows for 1978 should be an E any ideas guys I hate to keep ordering...But I really want new wiring go along with rebuilt engine, etc.

Thanks,

Dust
1978 project XS650 50% built
1980 XS650 - my daily driver...

Attachments

• New Harness 1.JPG
    New Harness 1.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Old Harness 1.JPG
    Old Harness 1.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 215
There are probably differences between the Special and Standard harnesses. You don't state which '78 model you have so ...... it could be another MikesXS quality product (they never get anything wrong, lol) or it could be your screw-up (ordering for the wrong model).

According to the vin no you posted, (2F0-115832), you have a 78SE, (2F0-100101 up to 2F0-150000, Special), and the loom you bought is for the 78E, (2F0-000101 to 2F0-006141, Standard).

The 78SE Special has a fuse panel with 4 fuses that sits atop the battery and the 78E Standard has one fuse in the harness that fits down by the solenoid.

Think you bought the wrong harness.

Last edited:
I have a 1978 xs650SE engine serial number 2FO106045. I ordered a new RH handle bar switch and it came with the bullet connectors. After opening the headlight, The old switch is not the bullet connectors, but a four pin plug. Did Yamaha change the harness mid year? Will the wiring harness for the SE eliminate the headlight switch unit that switches the head light if one bulb fails? Sorry for too many questions.

You bought a replica handlebar switch so it's very possible it won't match exactly. According the the wiring diagrams, the '78E (Standard) and older models have all bullet connectors, your Special has the 4 pin plug along with a couple bullet connectors. Looks like you'll just have to change some plugs to make it work. Hopefully the wire colors used match.

If the headlight switch unit you're referring to is the RLU (reserve lighting unit) located under the seat then no, a Special harness won't eliminate it. It was present on all of the later 650s from about '77 on.

1978 was the last year for the headlight on-off switch in that right handlebar control, but it doesn't do much good the way it came wired from the factory. This was also the first year for the auto-on headlight safety relay so as soon as you start the bike, the headlight comes on regardless of where the switch is positioned. But, there's a simple "fix" for that, simply unplug one wire .....

vG1TF6W.jpg

Many thanks for your reply. This old bike has seen some wear. A lot of dust and some rust. Hope to get it running soon. This project will take a lot of thought. I'm not afraid of electrical schematics and after I get it running, I'll figure out how to eliminate reserve lighting unit and still keep everything functioning.

78XS650E
Old harness was melted, fried...shot.
How the bike ran during the "purchase test ride" is a wonder/miracle.
Running on batt only I realized on arrival home.
Caveat emptor....never trust seller.
Ya got me Marine, POS.

Had same prob with harness from Mikes XS.
Lots of head banging, snipping, splicing & the like.
She runs great but has no operating blinkers.
No worries, I remember hand/arm signals.
78xs650e.jpg

Last edited:
Had enough of blowing fuses with the wiring mess and want to order new harness for my December 1978 special . Engine and frame number is 447-911706 and depending who i ask it's a 650E, 650SE or a xs650SF. ??Found a harness OEM 2MO-82590-50-00 that looks like the correct one? This bike has a headlight switch and the four fuse panel on top of the battery and has an oil warning lamp between the neutral lamp and the indicator lamp??
20220306_150641.jpg

The oil warning label on the dash pod most likely means it's probably been swapped on from an XS500. No 650 ever had an oil warning light or the means to run one (pressure switch on the engine). A Dec. '78 build date should indicate a '79 model but no '79 had the headlight on-off switch, at least U.S. models didn't.

Had enough of blowing fuses with the wiring mess and want to order new harness for my December 1978 special . Engine and frame number is 447-911706 and depending who i ask it's a 650E, 650SE or a xs650SF. ??Found a harness OEM 2MO-82590-50-00 that looks like the correct one? This bike has a headlight switch and the four fuse panel on top of the battery and has an oil warning lamp between the neutral lamp and the indicator lamp??View attachment 209098

Your Vin # is correct for a 79SF Oceania model. These bikes also shared their Vin # with Canada. i have confirmed this with Lakeview when he bought his herd of bikes.

I had a 79SF Vin # 447-910324.

Oceania, (Auzzie), bike will have an on/off switch for the lights. A pass switch on the left bar switch. This will mean Mikes XS 79SF harness will be missing the on/off wiring as they had the headlight auto on all the time.

On my Oceania 80SG, (we only got points ignition models where the US changed to Factory Electronic ignition), I used a US 78SE harness, (I bought from the states), and it married in without hardly any alterations.

I think you will need the 78SE harness to suit your bike.

That oil light on the tower, will be from an XS400. The red oil light is a Brake/tail light on the XS650. Neutral light should also be in the rev-counter with a Headlight Fail warning light in it place

If the speedo only goes up to 180kph and the rev-counter red lines at 9,000 then the XS400 Gauges have been swapped in.

These were on My SG when i bought it. XS400 Gauges
bike002.jpg

78SE/79SF towers should look like this. Ignore the gauges i have installed a set of 76 Gauges on My 80SG
, crop P1160023 resize 1200 copyright.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks 5twins & Skull for the detailed info, greatly appreciated and very helpful. Glad I've never taken it to the redline;. I will order the 78SE harness and look for the original gauges and display. 👍.
20220306_201441.jpg

That 9,250 red line threw me. Found a setbof 77 XS400 gauges on Fleecebay from the US with the 9,250 red line........cold also be the XS360, (more inclined to think this), gauges. advertised an XS400........nether here nor there really
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/224372967724?hash=item343dabc92c:g:d5QAAOSwFnJgQBCo
1646563462526.png

Hard to find a KPH speedo these days. If you keep the speedo I have the rest of the Gauges and bracket for a 77 meaning the rev-counter will match the speedo. If you want to do what i done to my bike i also have a Special tower and the 77/78 Standard rev-counter that will bolt straight onto the Special bracket.

Looks like the Special ignition switch has been put into that set of gauges.

PM me

You bought a replica handlebar switch so it's very possible it won't match exactly. According the the wiring diagrams, the '78E (Standard) and older models have all bullet connectors, your Special has the 4 pin plug along with a couple bullet connectors. Looks like you'll just have to change some plugs to make it work. Hopefully the wire colors used match.

If the headlight switch unit you're referring to is the RLU (reserve lighting unit) located under the seat then no, a Special harness won't eliminate it. It was present on all of the later 650s from about '77 on.

1978 was the last year for the headlight on-off switch in that right handlebar control, but it doesn't do much good the way it came wired from the factory. This was also the first year for the auto-on headlight safety relay so as soon as you start the bike, the headlight comes on regardless of where the switch is positioned. But, there's a simple "fix" for that, simply unplug one wire .....

vG1TF6W.jpg
hi, looks the same my se1979 model wiring. just wondering whats the brass box for and is there a condenser in there somewhere
or is it under the gas tank on the frame as mine has no condenser under the tank.Thanks.

The "brass box" is the earlier version of the double safety relay with two relays under one single large cover. I saw the pics of yours in your thread. That's a later style with individual, separate covers on the two relays. Are you sure your bike is a '78 model? Do you have the headlight on-off switch on your right handlebar control? .....

LightSwitch.jpg

just wondering whats the brass box for and is there a condenser in there somewhere
That box, pictured in post #6 is the Safety Relay, no condenser within that component:umm:. It controls starter solenoid and headlight function
1695327798139.png

The "brass box" is the earlier version of the double safety relay with two relays under one single large cover. I saw the pics of yours in your thread. That's a later style with individual, separate covers on the two relays. Are you sure your bike is a '78 model? Do you have the headlight on-off switch on your right handlebar control? .....

View attachment 251785
yes have the on off switch. she says se on the vin plate. shes black with steel side covers badges in gold, half chrome strip on saddle. alloy wheels disc front and rear.

The style you describe (mag wheels, discs front and rear) was made for 3 years, '78, '79, and '80. Is there a build date on the vin sticker? '78 was the last year for the headlight on-off switch on the right handlebar control, at least on the U.S. models anyway.

The style you describe (mag wheels, discs front and rear) was made for 3 years, '78, '79, and '80. Is there a build date on the vin sticker? '78 was the last year for the headlight on-off switch on the right handlebar control, at least on the U.S. models anyway.
Didn't actually see a date just the xs650 SE.

Back