Wiring harness 'trim' for simplicity

XS1961

XS addict!
Reaction score
I have a spare 1980 Tci harness(3G1 82590 51) , I intend to de-tape/unwrap it & to trim off all the crap ,er, simplify it. :wink2:
I'll either run points or Boyer instead of the factory ignitor/pickup.
Id rather do this than start afresh with a new custom loom.
Does anyone out there have a colour schematic of a 'cut-down'/'trimmed' harness I can use as a guide to speed things up?
Cheers

61 get the 81 diagram from my photo album, save 2 copies open it in a paint program (BMP. file) start at something like a turn signal and erase it back, 2nd copy is to see what/where was removed

Great idea jayel, cheers mate.
Never having owned a TCI model before( :yikes:) , is there supposed to be anything at all behind the chrome covers up top or is the only pickup on the face of the generator? Might save me the cos of a new Boyer....
Gawd, I hate electrics ..

Never having owned a TCI model before( :yikes:) , is there supposed to be anything at all behind the chrome covers up top or is the only pickup on the face of the generator? Might save me the cos of a new Boyer....

covers will be empty, iggy pickup on the alt. stator by small magnet on the rotor, crank timing is more accurate than flailing it thru the cam chain, timing advance, points cam ect.

yeah only pick up is on the generator. You should just have a look at some of the simplified wiring diagrams in the tech section and make your own. I did it yesterday and it was easy. I kinda just stood outside with the bike, a roll of wire, a soldering iron and some wire strippers and made my own right on the bike. Its very straight forward once you get started.

Using an old harness gives you plenty of connectors as well as wires the same color as stock. This makes trouble shooting easier. And if parts go bad just plug and play with stock replacements.
Leo

and here's how it's done.... open pic and save as a Bmp. file

Attachments

• 81_ XS650H_SH FADED.PNG
    81_ XS650H_SH FADED.PNG
    116.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I just did this but utilized the PMA and PAMCO. I've got maybe 8 wire colors.

Don't cut up the grounds, in fact, try to leave them in stock location as much as possible.

The most difficult thing will be the understanding that the bike's main power goes from the battery, up to the key, back to the fuse box, and then back up to the controls...where it distributes back to the rest of the components. That means your ignition (the most simple circuit) goes up and back 4 TIMES before hitting the coil.

If you move the key to back next to the battery and remove many of the stock control switches, you can really simplify wiring. The key would turn on the lights (brake and headlight), no signals, starter button at the battery, high beam switch on the bucket and the only wiring you'd have coming back is the front brake switch and headlight.

If your like me, you'll retain the stock control switches, move the key switch back to near the battery, and go from there.

Having cut my teeth in the XS world on an '83 with TCI, the first thing I did with my '77 was convert it over to TCI from points. I've got a Bud with a '78, points ig, and he's fooling around doing resets every 2 thousand miles. He keeps looking at mine with a "You don't have to do this?" ....he may go Pamco or stock TCI real soon.
Plug 'n play.

Ive got two Tci harnesses, on one Ive trimmed down and cut out the tci connections(to go Boyer). The other is complete with pickup, rotor & ignitor box,I was thinking of sticking this lot onto my other '77 to save on buying ignition , just worried I might go through all that to find the ignitor box is kaput....Might have trouble getting a aspare if so, not a common setup over here the TCI

Last edited:
Nice one, thanks .
Ill fit the lot at the weekend!
Hope the fact its a 256 crank in this motor has no effect on the BTDC ignition timing ....:shrug:

Back