Wiring/ ignition setup

Vciferni

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought a xs that is all stripped down. Nothing but headlight, taillight and ignition. It's an 82 xs650. I fried all the wiring when it shorted out and rewired everything. After some problems I gave up and had everything gone over and it was fixed. That same day I put it in the shed and Threw it on the battery charger. Everything is setup on a 2 position switch, everything on or everything off and i have two fuses on for lights and one for ignition. Now whenever I turn it on the one fuse blows. I'm not sure which one it is but the lights don't come on and I can't kick it over.

If anyone knows an idea of what is wrong with it that'd be great.

Also I was looking into aftermarket ignitions to simplify all my wiring. But I'm not sure what to go with pamco or boyer or pma swap. Could someone list the benefits of each one. I really don't care about pricing and all that I just wanna ride my bike and have it reliable. And ideally I'd like it to have no battery just kick it over like a dirt bike. But people have told me with certain setups you lights get dull at low rpm. All these cons to each thing is really frustrating and I don't know what to go with.

Vciferni;

Your description is somewhat confusing. Who was the last person to work on your wiring?

I suggest you post several clear pictures of your wiring set-up, and also post a wiring diagram so the lads on the site here can see what you are doing.

A PMA is not an ignition system, its part of the charging system. If your bike is charging the battery, then just keep using the stock alternator.

If you have a stock TCI and its giving good spark, then no need to buy another ignition system.

Back