Wiring issues to a hacked up xs650

JAG1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I "acquired" an 80 or 81 xs (can't remember year) and I wanted to use the existing wiring to see if I can get it running before I continue with the build.

What's shown is the wiring I am dealing with.

I see an apparent ground cable, but what I have boggles my mind. There is a R/W wire, Blue (L)/ W wire, and a red wire with red insulation around it.

From what I can tell from the wiring diagram in the shop manual is that those wires seem to go to the battery and starter switch, but I don't see a starter switch and there isn't a real apparent Red wire to go to the positive side of the battery.

Also attached is a 6 hole plug routing towards the back of the back with what seems to be the wiring that goes to the turn signals. So is the plug for the tail light?

Without ever being around these before I don't know what I have and what I do have, and what exactly I am missing.

Does the plug go to the tail light?
Am I missing a starter switch?
Does the suspected Red wire with insulation around it go to the battery while the R/W wire and Blue (L)/W wire go to a starter switch that I don't seem to have?

Help me with my confusion! Lol

Looks like I can't attach files from my phone, I'll submit the pics in a second.

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
8503025f.jpg

e549c9ba.jpg

a68d5544.jpg

8c6bd6cc.jpg

Here we go

The wiring looks pretty much intact.

I can turn the key and get the neutral light on, but the starter button doesn't give me Amy results. Starter doesn't turn nor does the engine turn over

Yes, you are missing the starter solenoid and the pos+ battery cable. The battery cable will have a red wire that the red wire with insulation will plug into. The R/W and L/W will plug into the solenoid. I believe that is your taillight plug. Mine is different but I think that is just the years. The black cable with the boot on it should be going to your starter and will attach to the solenoid. Your ground cable should be attached to the frame above the rear of the battery box.

Thanks I do appreciate it.

So to double check, what I need is a starter solenoid and extra wiring to go to the battery?

Thanks again

Yes. A solenoid, if you plan to use the electric start, and a pos+ battery cable. You might be able to find them in the classifieds here on the forum. Or, you can post wanted there.

Top pic. Big black cable goes down to starter, the end hanging out goes to starter relay under one of the big nuts. As jchrist says the blue/white and red/white wires goto starter relay. The red wire with red cover goes to battery positive. It's the main power to the fuse box, the black box up at the top of pic. From there it goes up to the key switch. Safety relay is what hangs by kickstart.
Pic 2 Grey box is reseve lighting unit. The two plugs, the front one is to the TCI box, the rear is to the reg/rec.
Pic 3 The plug is for the tail/brake light. The bundle of loose connectors are turn signals.
Pic 4 is just a better shot of pic 1
Leo

Yes the 6 wire connector is taillight;
black is ground,
yellow is brake light.
blue is taillight.

You guys are awesome thanks for the help.

I hope to get it running tomorrow.

Picked up a couple solenoids from my buddy John and here is how I have it wired. I hope it's right..

e7e784a5.jpg

I borrowed one of the bigger gauged wires from one solenoid to ground from - negative battery terminal to frame.

629ebf31.jpg

One side of the solenoid has a bigger gauge wire like what I used to ground battery. I hooked white wire into red wire from wiring harness and it then runs into the positive + side of the battery

2c5d48f0.jpg

This shows the two smaller wires hooked together and the big gauge wire running from the solenoid to the starter.

It turns over now. The engine won't run without some help from some carb cleaner, so tomorrow I'm going to take the carbs back off and try and clean on them some more.

Don't think the gas is actually ever getting to the plugs as they are still dry.

More wrenching to come.

Looks like you got it.
If you haven't read the carb guide, you should. And then read it again. And then read it again. That way you will be sure to get it cleaned right the first time. It is in the tech section.

Well it runs. Still about the same. The left side is not running as hot as the right (when sitting on the bike)

As per xs John he states

xsjohn
8-1 lover
Re: carb problems
No............the left just runs colder than the right....and the jet needles have to be handled differently...as I well know..........after all these years of preaching .........and a 142.5 will just wash the whole thing out fast with those log needles provided by the epa......lots of fuel on the high end (142.5) and about none where you are at most of the time.............

xsjohn

Don't know how much truth there is in this statement. Seems like any engine shouldn't run hotter on one side than the other period. But I am new to these engines. Far different than all my Honda CB builds.

It looks as though I have the BS34 Mikuni carbs.
When the engine revs to about 3K in runs smooth, when it goes back down to 1200 rpms it shakes like crazy. Thought it may be a sync issue. I got the vacuum gauges out and was going to do it but i don't see a screw to adjust it. I know the tubes on the intakes is where to place the vacuum gauge bit can someone direct me in how to sync them? I read about a spark plug cap being removed allowing the engine to only work off one cylinder and doing it that way but it seems bizarre. Wanted to double check before I dove in.

Thanks again for all the help.

08e60715.jpg

f876a158.jpg

ba7362a2.jpg

3d5819b0.jpg

Okay this is what is going on:

It starts on first kick
Seems to only run on one cylinder ( right side when sitting on bike )
Place hand over left carb jumps the rpms, hot air comes from exhaust.
Place hand over right carb - bike dies.

So it's the same as if someone has a bike that only runs with choke on and dies with choke off?

Me blocking air from left carb kicks the rpms up and makes that side get hot
Me blocking air from right kills the engine

So I either have an air leak ( which I tested for and found nothing )
Or still not getting enough gas in the carb

I'm stumped.

Swapping spark plugs doesn't make it follow to the other cylinder neither does swapping plug wires from one side to the other. Grounding plugs on engine also shows good spark

Only thing I'm left with is air/fuel I think

I dunno

Any suggestions out there?

The idle screw is the spring loaded screw under the choke knob and the sync screw is the spring loaded screw that is clamped to the shaft on the backside running between the carbs. Adjust idle then sync. Did you take a look at the CV carb guide in the tech section?
You should start a new thread about your carb problems. Then maybe some of the carb guru's will chime in. You may be able to search the forum and find some info. The search bar on the left covers this site and the old 650rider.

Yeah I've been digging through the forum all day as well as the tech section.

You're right. Better off starting a new thread since the wiring issue is now fixed.

Thanks.

Back