Wiring mystery, have really resisted asking

jzeroe

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

As you can probably tell from my profile, I've only owned an XS for about 3 weeks. The one I bought (a '72) was hacked to bits by the PO who thought he was a technical genius (was not), and I am trying to bring it back to stock-ish condition. Apologies in advance for being a moron, but you have to work with what you have. The problem:

There is no kill switch, and I am trying to wire one back in. Not only is it a rat's nest, but I am also electrical-stupid. It's like high school Spanish class all over again. The good news is that the PO didn't remove any wires from the harness. It's currently bypassed, so all you have to do is turn on the key and hit the button to start. Simple! Except I really want a kill switch.

None of the wiring diagrams I have found online or in my service manual (Haynes) accurately describe what's going on in my headlight bucket, color-wise.

He has it so the brown wire coming out of the bottom of the key-switch's harness goes directly into the headlight via the green wire. Then the blue wire, which also comes out of the bottom of the switch's harness, is jumped to a red and yellow wire that's coming out of the main harness.

I would just like to know which wires from my kill switch (aftermarket, because I have one handy) go into which wires in the headlight bucket. The rest I think I can figure out. Sorry to be an idiot, but, well, I am an idiot. Here is a photo:

CeNKJEOiCTxC6NVOIK8m6loGGwq9eFjAIiLbO75r5oU.jpg

Thanks in advance.
JB

UPDATE: Calling this a mystery, and knowing that this is likely an easy fix is giving me all sorts of regret. Sorry sorry!

Well, I wouldn't call it easy. Undoing a previous mess makes it 10x harder.
Do you have this wiring diagram?

Attachments

• XS2-TX-wiring.jpg
    XS2-TX-wiring.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 61
Back