Wiring... were do I go from here? What can go?

Samuraiace

Workin from the shed
Reaction score
So I have a world of trouble thats come my way. I've got a 79 special engine in an 80 frame, pod filters, pamco with a dual output coil from mikesxs.
The PO did a real number on the wiring to get her running. I'm at the point of "What do I do next", my wiring is constantly on the fritz. I currently have no working lights -any- whatsoever , no elec starter, no headlight and the firing is ....well... she ran last season (not well) but now won't fire unless the handle bars are cranked to the left or right. :shrug:

Anyways I think my best move is to start from scratch and make a harness. So i'm wondering what I can cut out and what needs to stay. I'm trying to figure out what I should swap out now (for better things) and what is reliable. i.e rectifier -tci box - relays- ect...

So thats were I'm at, Anybody's :twocents: is greatly appreciated

Unless you are going custom bobber etc., a stock harness makes the most sense. Used are all over and new can be had from Mikes also. Electrical work is a lot of very small steps and lots of testing.

Well if I go in the stock harness direction gggGary any idea on which year of harness to go with? I figured I would match the engine....is there a huge difference between the years of my engine and frame?

-thanks

Since the engine is an '80, get an '80 harness. The stock '80 had a TCI ignition, but you have a Pamco. You should also have the solid state reg/rec. The complete harness is the way to go. You will get all new wires that are the correct color too. This way you won't have a bunch of crap.

I read it wrong. Well they are basically the same. Both have reg/rec combination (solid state), and the Pamco is you igniton. So get a '79. Either way you will need to customize it for you specific application and the Pamco. Test all the components, such as lights, reg/rec, relays, ect.

You can see the differences on the year specific wiring diagrams.

It all matters what your using, where you want it, how you want it. there is no "plug and play". If you want a stock bike, use a stock diagram. It's best to pour over everyone of them and study what goes where and how it works. It's real easy to fry something by blindly connecting wires.

I got mine from Mikesxs.com It has all you need. i run no starter and simply wired, so I cannibalized it, but I have all the correct colors, new wires, and connectors.

Back