Woman with a 530 chain delimma..ha

..whats so precious about a 72?

JessicaR, the '70-'73 models are somewhat unique, often referred to as '256' because of the part numbering scheme. These bikes have shorter wheelbase, unique crankshaft, pistons, rings, wristpins, camshaft, camchain system, separated Solex carbs, and in your case, that starter/decompression gizmo.

As such, replacement parts are difficult to find and often carry a collector's premium. Not really practical for an everyday rider, and pose challenges more attuned to the experienced scrounger and tinkerer.

The later '74-'83 year models are often referred to as '447', again because of the part numbering scheme. They have a slightly longer wheelbase, improved frame stiffening, and, most importantly, a generous supply of reasonably priced support parts.

You've had a few tantalizing offers from some of the members here for some better customizing opportunities. Please take them seriously, you could come out much better in the end...

- - - whats so precious about a 72? - - -

Hi Jessica,
unmolested early XS650s are fetching high prices, here's a recent "for sale" ad for a 1971 XS650 from the CVMG E-magazine:-

Complete motorcycle in stock condition - asking $3900.00 - New fork tubes and seals, new mufflers, new drive chain, cam chain and adjuster, new pistons and rings, new valve seals, new oil filter, new battery, chromed nuts and bolts in engine. Located in Owen Sound Ontario. E-mail is mar-do@wightman.ca and phone # is 519-371-7763

Note that the asking price for a late model XS650 Special in equal condition will be about half of that.
Once it's been hardtailed your '72 will be worth even less.

you guys keep bashing the op, but you don't know the condition of the bike. it could just be a roller, or a heap that sat outside in the Dakotas. (I hope)
Go ahead, chop it up. makes my untouched 71 worth more. (btw, april fools)
I suppose if I really wanted to troll all you purists out there, I could nab pictures of a prestine 72, and find various stages of disassembly of a super stock bike, and nab pictures of reassembly of a really poor designed chop.
Im pretty sure this is bogus, if the bike is a worthless husk, chop it. I grabbed a bent framed hardtail 1980 when I baoght my very nice 71(same seller) even if the 1980 was untouched, I wouldn't chop that. But its got a bent frame, and is another basket case
The two instances wher the op states shes a woman, then a girl is suspect. hasn't replied to responses, wich is another sign of troll. I could get on a friend computer, or my wifes, make a bogus account, and screw with all you guys, but I prefer doing it face to face....er......binary to binary lol

HI Jessica

Me I chop everything and have always looked at condition. If your bike is a 8 to a 10 then I would sell it and buy a newer one that is easier to get parts for. If the bike is a piece of shit and needs help then I would be right there choppin it.
There are some older bikes out there that are worth money because back in the 70's there were a lot of guys like me who trashed or parted these bikes. Who new 30 yrs later they would be worth something. I use to own a HONDA dealership and had many 1969 CB750 0r 450 Bommers both now draw crazy money. A 1969 untouched CB750 can go over $10,000 now and bike sold under $2000 new. So there are guys on here who like to bring back those old bikes to there original condition and nothing wrong with that and like I said before if I get one TWOMANY the first guy I am calling he loves these bikes. Now the TROLL thing was uncalled for because you want to do what you want to do to your bike and I be leave you are just asking advise. So whatever it means don't take it personal guys on here are not trashing you they are trying to help. In 30 yrs a 1980 maybe worth money and someone like you will be asking same question.
Chop it if you want and please post some pictures of whatever you build.
Have a great day and KEEP CHOPPIN
Rich

... Who new 30 yrs later they would be worth something. I use to own a HONDA dealership and had many 1969 CB750 0r 450 Bommers both now draw crazy money. A 1969 untouched CB750 can go over $10,000 now and bike sold under $2000 new...

Oh man, Rich, our crystal ball wasn't working very well, huh? I'm also amazed at the crazy prices I'm seeing for Z-50s and CT-70s...

No brain was dead back then or weed was great. I have to laugh I watch these car things on TV (barrett Jackson) and my kids say DAD didn't you have one of those and one of those. HAHA I had corvettes-SS chevelle's-55 Chevy's-63/64/65/66 Impala's and I won't even start on MOPARS. Same with bikes I LIVED fast and Hard and sold it if you had the cash. I owned TATOO places and did $300,000 over the counter in 18 weeks DO I HAVE ANYTHING LEFT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Just was a different life style in the 60's 70's 80's
I would loved to have put two cars and two bike away but I never thought I would live past 40 so I ran the fast life.:banghead:

Good Morning Jessica, Welcome to the site. Good to know your now a troll.
I would think about Vincenthdfans offer for the 2 for one. Ya could then sell one for what Ya have in the 72. The frames on the newer bikes will make a better chopper anyway. I chopped a special.
We do like pix around here.
I would also use new sprockets with the new chain.
Are you preforming the work on your bike?
Women building bikes very cool :thumbsup:
You will find that cutting up a standard of any year, and not a special will get under peoples skin.
So when You said 72 that was almost like dropping a grenade in a crowd ya got lots of attention.
We are a pretty laid back site with a lot of knowledge to help you along the way.
Again welcome

Jessica, please know I wasn't calling you a troll, only clarifying what one was. Good luck and welcome to the site.

I did what you would call a resto-mod on my 1978. I changed the paint, bars, alternator, carbs, gearing,exhaust, and seat. You can see I m not a purist but if I had more of the original to work with I would have done a restoration instead of a modification. I love the way my bike turned out. Did I improve over the factory? I think so. It is your bike and in the end you are the one that has to live with the decision either way. If you are set on chopping that is what should be done. Good luck. Tony C.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help, I have taken into consideration what everyone said and am putting her up for sale on craigslist if she happens to sell then its not meant to be, if she doesn't I will continue with what I had planned..also what wiring diagram would i use (x2-tx650) or (tx650a)? I found both in the manual Yahama manual I have, I noticed both use similar but different color coding. I appreciate all the help you guys give me I'm learning as I go!

If you keep it stock I would buy the right harness for it . If it does come to a chop then contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM and I will walk you threw the wiring because at that point colors of wires are not a issue you are going to build to your design.
Please post a picture of bike and craigslist post.
OK guys you pushed here now setup and buy it.:thumbsup:
KEEP CHOPPIN RICH

Back