Won't start, no spark, GM HEI ignition

Looks like I need to drop in here more often. As you now know, the HEI does ground through the mounting screws. I recommend running a separate ground wire from the mounting screw to a known ground to ensure a reliable connection.

For your other [now irrelevant] question, you can test the HEI module with an ohm meter. Be sure there is a good power and ground connection, coil hooked up, spark plug grounded to head, disconnect the pickup, touch the negative ohm meter lead to ground and the positive ohm meter lead to the G pin. The small test voltage that the ohm meter puts out should be enough to trigger the HEI. If i remember right, it charges the coil when the G-pin goes over 1.6 volts and fires when it drops below 1.4 volts.

Starting to sound like your $19 scrap yard ignition is costing more all the time.
Leo

Hey now, when you hook it up correctly it's bullet proof and trouble free. Mine hasn't missed a beat since I installed it over six years ago.

Ah! A personal visit from the man himself!

Thanks for the info on testing the HEI unit - that'll be handy later, I'm sure.

I actually connected the HEI ground straight to the battery's negative terminal - seems like a reasonable place to get a good connection.

Back