won't start, then it won't idle

twobowles1

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
First thing is thanks to all who have contributed to this great site.

I purchased a 78 XS650, it was lying on it's side in a shed. It didn't run. Did all the things that should be done, checked compression, cam chain adjustment, points and timing, valve clearances, plugs, etc. Still got nothing except for an occasional backfire. Something wasn't right. with the 180 degree crank and one set of points to each cylinder it finally dawned on me that the last person who worked on the bike had attached the right cylinder points to the left cylinder coil, same-oh for the left cylinder points to the right cylinder coil. Swapped them around and it started right up. But... it would not idle. took the carbs all apart. cleaned them all up, still starts right up but it will not idle. took the carbs apart again. The gaskets between the float bowl and the carb body where incorrect. the gaskets had the holes for the idle jets in the wrong spot and blocked off gas to the idle jet. I made holes in the gaskets and now it starts and idles fine. I hope this can help someone with anything similar.

Those gaskets may have been tight just installed wrong. If you look close they have a hole for that circuit. If flipped over the hole will be on the wrong side.
Leo

Back