Worm gear assembly question

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
So i'm installing my new mikesxs clutch worm gear assembly and noticed that the large rubber ring is tappered on the inside. Anybody know which way this is supposed to go on the assembly...taper toward the inside arm or taper out toward the case cover? Thanks.

I think the taper goes out, towards the female part of the worm and the cover. If you look at the top of the female part you'll see it's rounded off and that will fit right into the taper.

Don't forget to pack that assembly full of grease. And put a wad in the hole with the ball that the pushrod sticks into also.

What necessitates clutch worm gear replacement? I just took mine apart and it obviously needs to be cleaned and greased, but I don't know whether I need to spend $65 or whatever on a new MikesXS Assembly Kit. Might this be an a typically replaced item during a clutch rebuild?

Usually a crack in the nylon calls it. I guess it could be really sloppy from lack of lube too.

So i'm installing my new mikesxs clutch worm gear assembly and noticed that the large rubber ring is tappered on the inside. Anybody know which way this is supposed to go on the assembly...taper toward the inside arm or taper out toward the case cover? Thanks.

I probably should've addressed this in the clutch worm actuator thread. The smaller ID of that tapered rubber ring goes out toward the case cover, and acts as a wiper on the worm body, keeping the grease inside the seal cup, the larger ID of the rubber ring acting as a reservoir.

So, when fitting it into the seal cup, with the arm down and the worm threads pointing up, the larger ID goes in first/down, with the smaller wiper ID facing up...

Back