Would this work for an oil temp/sight gauge?

savage454

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I saw a topic about oil temp gauges and started looking through my McMaster-Carr cataloge. I found this (if the link works, if not page 524 of your cataloge) it's an elbow oil sight gauge that has a 250+ degree dial at the elbow. I think the look alone would warrent drilling and tapping. It's for non-presser applications such as gear boxes, crankcases, etc.

It comes in a ton of sizes too, and you get to see a good amount of your oil which would give you a better indication of the state it's in. Just an idea. It is vented oil-level indicator 5. The one with the temp dial on it

http://www.mcmaster.com/#oil-level-indicators/=c91zen

For some reason you have to click this link then at the highlighted are near the top click "liquid-level indicators and if you scroll down a little bit it is the male elbow one with temp dial. Sorry it's so difficult maybe someone can link it better than me.

Last edited:
Check out this thread. Interesting idea, but I'm not sure about the whole "welding onto the probe" part.
Myself, I'm definitely interested in the whole sight-glass/oil temp idea myself, and have been reading all the same catalog pages as you!

I have an "RR" dipstick-type oil temp gauge that I bought from Working Class Choppers on here. It's a very nice piece, and I find it very useful. It's not just a bauble, but very functional.

TC

I make a thermometer-dipstick that looks good and works great. Been making them for a while, and I've sold a lot of them. You can order one here:
http://www.handspiral.com/ThermoDipStick.htm

Display.jpg

1979b.jpg

Yes, that's similar to the RR that I have... very nice work you do!

By the way, DB... you may wish to make your product more visible here. Had I known of you when I was in the market, I'd possibly have been a customer! Gauges of this sort are attractive and useful, especially with an air cooled, older motor in the summer.

TC

TeeCat, thanks for the compliment, and yes, I do plan on making an "official" announcement on this forum very soon.

What is unique about mine, is that they are custom-made for each individual customer's specific bike. This ensures that the gauge will be right-side-up, as opposed to upside-down for example, when the gauge is screwed in to the engine case. The orientation of the screw-threads is different on every XS650, which is why I take this added step.

I noticed this on your site... very clever! In the case of my RR, I think I read somewhere that it is actually adjustable for that, but I have not had need to figure out how to do it, as it seems to be perfect as long as I don't overtighten it. It uses a rather robust O-ring, vice a gasket.

You have a nice product, though! Now you need to come up with an infrared-based cylinder head temperature gauge that mounts within easy view of the rider, and I shall happily test the prototype. :D *thinks* :er:

TC

Was just checking out the dipsticks - I have something similar on my BMW R75/6 but somehow you can rotate the gauge so alignment isn't a problem - might be worth checking into options for your manufacturing so you don't have to custom make them. Also hurts spontaneous ordering like I likely would have just done as I need to go home and check my dipstick first :)

Are the gauges really rugged? Everything on my XS vibrates to death.

Just need to strap one of these to your bike pointed at your engine :)

8223570.jpg

Methinks there might be a more elegant solution, though. :p

but somehow you can rotate the gauge so alignment isn't a problem - might be worth checking into options for your manufacturing so you don't have to custom make them.

Yes, I think my RR is like this, but since it's aligned now, I have not investigated how to do it.

TC

Was just checking out the dipsticks - I have something similar on my BMW R75/6 but somehow you can rotate the gauge so alignment isn't a problem - might be worth checking into options for your manufacturing so you don't have to custom make them. Also hurts spontaneous ordering like I likely would have just done as I need to go home and check my dipstick first :)

Are the gauges really rugged? Everything on my XS vibrates to death.
Tim, thanks for the interest and the suggestions.
I developed my XS650 ThermoDipStick because I had a real need for one. I am a daily rider, and where I ride we had over 100 days of 100 degree weather this summer, with peak temperatures hitting 112. I needed to know what this was doing to my engine. I searched extensively many times for an XS650 thermometer dipstick, but I came up with nothing, except for one made in Germany that is in Celsius. So, I just made one for myself, by chopping the stock stick, and doing some welding. I had no intention of selling them, but I got a lot of requests, and I sympathized, as there is a real, practical need for these on our air-cooled bikes.
So, I came up with a better version that could be made in quantity.
I tested a lot of different thermometers, and the one I use is a high-quality, Made in America product from Tel-Tru Manufacturing. In fact, Tel-Tru makes their own, very limited, line of dipstick-thermometers, and they use the exact same thermometer that I do. The Tel-Tru thermometer is vibration-dampening treated, and withstands high-heat. Most of the cost of my ThermoDipSticks goes into the Tel-Tru thermometer.
I am an artist by profession, and I realized that I could use my unique skill sets and knowledge to create an elegant and simple XS650 thermometer-dipstick. A great deal of work went into the original model and molds, but the result is a product that I can make at home without too much specialized equipment.
Yes, the one drawback is that have to be specifically "indexed" for each individual XS650. Yes, this requires action by the purchaser. Yes, I lose sales because not everyone is willing to determine their bike's "index." However, I am not expecting to get rich making ThermoDipSticks. What I am doing is providing a simple, inexpensive, much-needed item that also looks cool, and which you can't buy anywhere else.
I have sold a lot of these with zero complaints and lots of compliments. I currently have three XS650s, and I have learned a lot about how they run from these thermometers. And, they add an instant "wow" factor to the bike. The ThermoDipStick is usually the first thing that gets noticed on my bike. Everyone comments on it, and wants one, once they see it.
Sorry for turning this post into an advertisement. I do intend to "officially announce" my ThermoDipStick on this Forum soon in a dedicated thread. Thanks a lot.
http://www.handspiral.com/ThermoDipStick.htm

I do think you should hawk this actively. Maybe Trav would put you in the banner carousel up top!

I'd have bought one of your gauges happily if I had not had an RR. I appreciate it every time I take my bike out. Plus, as you point out, I don't think it's overkill at all to know what your oil temp is. I'm beginning to think this may apply to head temp as well, but that would be a more expensive experiment.

I hope you have much success with your product! If my RR ever shits the bed, I'll be wanting one of yours!

TC

TC, you need a temp gauge on your funnel, the oil probably gets hotter pouring it in & draining it out than actualy riding it :D:laugh::laugh:

Posted via Mobile

TC, you need a temp gauge on your funnel, the oil probably gets hotter pouring it in & draining it out than actualy riding it :D:laugh::laugh:

Posted via Mobile

HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH... freaking brilliant!!!!!!!! :D You're right, though! One could put my bike's used oil on their liver and onions and not have a fleepin' clue! :p

That's some funny sh*t right there, though, yama. Brilliant!! :p

TC

One thing I like about DG's tempstick is it reads oil level as well as oil temp.
I just took the 80 out for a ride, all stock, have not played with carbs except to set sync. At 45-50 mph temp was about 200-205, run up to 55-60 temp was 210-215, 70 was 220.
Thats about the same as the 75 with the 750 kit. On a 70 degree day. The 750 has BS34 carbs tuned a bit, more open exhaust, uni-fliters. Stock cam, mild cleanup on head.
Leo

Back