Wrong spoke angle

Scotchmist

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a standard 19" steel front rim on a disk hub. I've just found myself a flanged Borrani front rim which appears to utlise spokes of the exact same length (which would be nice and convenient!). The only problem is the spoke angle appears to be wrong. I believe that the Borrani rim is designed for a larger diameter hub/drum brake. I've read that the angle of the holes can be "massaged" slightly with a file. Can this be safely done? If so, does anyone have any guidance/experience of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Massage it with a cordless drill and bit. Don't think too much about it or you will get cold feet. If the spokes don't fit, make them.

Hi Scotchmist,
although Charlie Hooper's is long gone there must be somewhere (perhaps in darkest Bedminster?) that deals in used bike parts?
What I'd do is look for a used deep groove aluminum rim XS650 wheel and add the steel rim wheel and Borrani rim to your swap pile.

MrYeats says it best. Want to save $200 bucks and ride around on junk so be it. But, if you want it done right send it to the best in the buz

Borrani rims are highly prized in the Italian bike market. You should be able to sell it for quite a bit, probably enough to cover the cost of a 650 specific rim AND the spokes for it.

Back