WTF pictures

On a frigid winter night a car horn stuck on at 3AM, already in my teens I woke in a cold sweat thinking IT had happened. Hope no other generations have to go though thinking THAT could happen.
Sounds like it was normal to have nuclear attack training in the US of A? We never had that when I was at school. Mind you, we used to have the adults talking about the Govt's Protect & Survive public information films, generally seen as useless.

Then there was this

This_Is_Not_a_Test_VideoCover.jpeg

Followed by this

Fail Safe.jpg

Last edited:
Bert the Turtle says "DUCK and COVER". Still got mine from 1954 (1st grade).:thumbsup: If you haven`t seen the movie Atomic Cafe you should. It is a Gov film from the 50`s and has some really good stuff about Atomic Bombs.:yikes:
DSCN1582-001.JPG

You guys talkin' nukes without me? :geek:

RAF Upper Heyford.... Victor alert pad... we kept 9 F-111's cocked and loaded.
One day I was up in the weapons bay of one of 'em trying to reach a leaking hydraulic line that was hard to get to 'cause there was two B-61 nukes in the way. Had my feet against one of 'em, trying to push myself across the top of the other. I managed to get the line replaced and while I was stuck there waiting on someone to power up the hyd system so I could leak check it..... the gravity of the situation suddenly hit me.... I'm wrapped around two LIVE 100 KT bombs. :yikes:

Then I thought to myself.... this'll be a story to tell my kids. Guess I can share it with you guys also. :p

1702926638911.png

Last edited:

One day I was up in the weapons bay of one or 'em trying to reach a leaking hydraulic line that was hard to get to 'cause there was two B-61 nukes in the way. Had my feet against one of 'em, trying to push myself across the top of the other. I managed to get the line replaced and while I was stuck there waiting on someone to power up the hyd system so I could leak check it..... the gravity of the situation suddenly hit me.... I'm wrapped around two LIVE 10 KT bombs. :yikes:

Then I thought to myself.... this'll be a story to tell my kids. Guess I can share it with you guys also. :p

View attachment 257775
Had they gone off, you were in the best possible place. You would not have felt a thing.

One day I was up in the weapons bay of one or 'em trying to reach a leaking hydraulic line that was hard to get to 'cause there was two B-61 nukes in the way. Had my feet against one of 'em, trying to push myself across the top of the other. I managed to get the line replaced and while I was stuck there waiting on someone to power up the hyd system so I could leak check it..... the gravity of the situation suddenly hit me.... I'm wrapped around two LIVE 10 KT bombs. :yikes:

View attachment 257775
Slim Pickens approves

View attachment 257775
Ah yes, working inside the "No lone zone", remember it well. ;)

View attachment 257775
I did something very similar fixing fuel leaks up in weapons bay of F-117's on opening nights of Iraqi Freedom campaign. Standing on conventional bombs while wrenching away...thought the same thing. This is what memories are made of. :yikes:

Sounds like it was normal to have nuclear attack training in the US of A? We never had that when I was at school. Mind you, we used to have the adults talking about the Govt's Protect & Survive public information films, generally seen as useless.
However, we used to have regular siren testing, about once a month.
The Civil Defence mentality at the time was fairly to the fore, but as a young kid I didn't really know much about it. Only later did I realise what a shitstorm we could have been in.

However, we used to have regular siren testing, about once a month.
The Civil Defence mentality at the time was fairly to the fore, but as a young kid I didn't really know much about it. Only later did I realise what a shitstorm we could have been in.
Never a Problem!! Just Duck and Cover.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

When I was stationed at Hahn AB Germany, Victor Alert was in our squadron's area. 10th TFS was the nearest to the east end of the runway. We knew if the shit hit the fan, we were the closest air base to the commies. I did a few months in Victor Alert.

I did something very similar fixing fuel leaks up in weapons bay of F-117's on opening nights of Iraqi Freedom campaign. Standing on conventional bombs while wrenching away...thought the same thing. This is what memories are made of. :yikes:
Bad time to drop a heavy wrench

What's for lunch?
View attachment 257845
You! I brought some jam cuz you're toast.
True story...last time I was out riding my KTM dirt bike in some wooded back country, I popped out onto the logging road to head back to my truck. I came around the corner and there was a big ole cat just like that walking down the road in front of me. :yikes: Fortunately, it was going the same direction I was going so it started walking quicker, then kind of a trot....certainly not afraid of me. Eventually it turned and went into the woods....I have a very sharp mental image of how long of tail it had and the huge size of its paws...amazing creature, just glad I wasnt on the receiving end of its exploits.

Back