xl250 coil question

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
Nope, not a xs 650, not even a Yamaha. deal with it. thumper talk forum is no help.
A few months ago, I acquired a 1972 Honda xl250. Decent shape, motor showed low compression, but within spec.
I gave it the usuals, adjusted valves, dumped oil, added new oil through the valve inspection covers to oil up the dry engine, a few drops in the cylinder, new points, new plug, adjusted cam chain, checked timing. Cleaned out type III kiehin carb.
Wouldn't start. It would idle, but no rev. The carb was spitting back .
Collapsed exhaust pipe. Fixed that with a air chizzle, started and reved, then died during carb adjustment.
No spark. Ordered a new Honda coil for it, $70 bucks, ouch. But it was up and running riding in 15 minutes. fun little bike.
Then it died. Ran like it was out of gas, big backfire through the exhaust. Pushed it home.
No spark again. dead coil.
Im not willing to spend another $70 on another coil. This was a genuine Honda coil with new condenser.
Likely culprits--
Old coil
Magneto over run
the rest of electrical in bad shape.(it dosnt need the batter to run, its just for lights)The battery in it was toast, but was hooked up anyways.

When I hooked my multimeter to the mag out, and kicked it, the volts jumped sky high, and didn't stay steady, or level out, just danced all over the place.
I know the points are getting juice, maybe too much? The last time I had a mag bike was my first bike, a 1979 Yamaha 80 when I was 10 yrs old.
Ive tried thumper talk, and that site is a little dead in the vintage area.
Can I use any coil for a magneto single cylinder? There are a lot of cheaper coils out there that I think will work.
Thank you for any help with this. I don't have a title, so Im trying to do as little possible $$ wise until It really is mine.:doh:

I have two brand new early coils for this 71, but went pamco instead. Do u think I could re-wire the bike to use one of these coils?
That coil shown if it's a tek, that's the one I got. Rather not spend another $70 just to burn up another, hoping a cheap alternative comes to light

Back